Smaller, Denser Flash Memory

Actually, I'm pretty sure something like this is going to be required to ever hit the 2TB max that the SD3.0 and SD4.0 spec. We're just now looking at 64GB cards, and may see 128GB cards, but they're quickly approaching the physical limit of the technology: soon there just will be no way to make it smaller. We may hit 512GB, maybe even 1TB cards in an SD package in the next 4 or 5 years, but if we see anything beyond that without changing underlying technologies, I'll eat my hat. Contact me in 4 or 5 years when this denser flash memory will actually make a difference and we'll discuss the toppings I may or may not need on said hat :p

WizardStan said:
Actually, I'm pretty sure something like this is going to be required to ever hit the 2TB max that the SD3.0 and SD4.0 spec. We're just now looking at 64GB cards, and may see 128GB cards, but they're quickly approaching the physical limit of the technology: soon there just will be no way to make it smaller. We may hit 512GB, maybe even 1TB cards in an SD package in the next 4 or 5 years, but if we see anything beyond that without changing underlying technologies, I'll eat my hat. Contact me in 4 or 5 years when this denser flash memory will actually make a difference and we'll discuss the toppings I may or may not need on said hat :p

I recommend you purchase an edible hat.

Edit: Also, it seems like they said it will be both cheaper to produce AND more dense. So that's more capacity for less money, which essentially means large capacity NAND Flash will be cheaper than it is now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back