Running openPandora OS on a VirtualBox?

Satoshi.ryuu

Still Fresh
So I'm new to the pandora project I've only been fallowing it for a few weeks, this is my first post. I haven't decided When I want to get one yet and my question is this: I know the OS is open, but Is it easy to install on a virtual machine or on other hardware and if so where can I download it? Basically I want see first hand What the OS is exactly like and how nice the "Gaming-Console like menu" is.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to destroy your illusion, but in the first line VirtualBox, VMware and co. are not full emulators, they are virtualisators. They're simply using the fact that the VM runs the same architecture as the host to execute as much code as possible natively, which is boosted even more by the hardware-side virtualisation extensions from AMD and Intel.

Short story: They don't support ARM and you can't simply bring the whole OS to x86. QEMU is a real emulator which also supports ARM, there's a QEMU image flowing around somewhere, search for it.

Sorry to destroy your illusion, but in the first line VirtualBox, VMware and co. are not full emulators, they are virtualisators. They're simply using the fact that the VM runs the same architecture as the host to execute as much code as possible natively, which is boosted even more by the hardware-side virtualisation extensions from AMD and Intel.

Short story: They don't support ARM and you can't simply bring the whole OS to x86. QEMU is a real emulator which also supports ARM, there's a QEMU image flowing around somewhere, search for it.

Thanks I'll look into QEMU. If any one knows were to find the image let me know else I'll post here if i get something running. Also If I understand your post right that means it should still be possible to install the pandora OS on real hardware, that is if i have something with an ARM processor?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also If I understand your post right that means it should still be possible to install the pandora OS on real hardware, that is if i have something with an ARM processor?
Anything running an OMAP3530 might be able to run the Pandora OS image, but I wouldn't bet on it. There's a lot of driver specifics that need to be handled, for starters.

Seeing how the XFCE part works is a simple as booting a laptop from a Xubuntu CD http://www.xubuntu.org/

Almost every PND is based on open source linux software and can be found with "Synaptic package manager" so you can try that software too

A netbook with an USB gamepad and Xubuntu installed would prove to be the closest experience to a real pandora

The Gaming Console like menu is called minimenu (i think, i don't care for it), and it's not available with synaptic someone would have to build it for (X)Ubuntu

Back