Recording Video From The Screen

Alex.

Retired
I only have the GP2X itself, a USB cable, and an old laptop. Is it possible to record video footage of the GP2X screen? In the past I used a digital camera with limited video recording capabilities to shoot the screen directly, but the results of course are blurry and unfocused.

Is it possible with just what I have, or do I need an EXT cable or something?

Thanks a lot!

- Alex

wellm, tvout and tvcapture card would probably the best, but you could also record the fb should be easy enugh.
No idear if there are premade tolls for that, but you could write a small bashscript that keeps doing "cat /dev/fb1 > /mnt/nfsonyourpc/ongoingfilename.raw" and than convert the images to a video using for example mencoder.

edit: fbgrab would surely be better than just catting the fb

you could also run a vnc server on the gp and capture the vnc session with your pc

Yea, that sounds like it would slow it down a lot. So a TV Capture card is the answer, I'll look into that. Thanks!

- Alex

I grimly assume that SD-DMA cannot be fixed via firmware? :(

- Alex

You can send the thing you want captured to one of the members who has a tv out cable and a video capture card, I would happily do it for you if you are willing to wait for a day for each video :)

another alternative is if you use SDL to build a windows version and record it with a windows grabber such as hypercam. this is what i do for when i release preview videos of my stuff.

You can send the thing you want captured to one of the members who has a tv out cable and a video capture card, I would happily do it for you if you are willing to wait for a day for each video :)
You'll get a PM from me sometime in February, thanks a lot for the offer :)

Guyfawkes: that's a smart suggestion, makes perfect sense!

- Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Back