Question About The Analog Stick

zidane2006

Still Fresh
hello everyone ,

I am planning to buy a gp2x soon, but i just have one question...

In many of the youtube videos that I have seen, I see a nice smooth grey nub, but when I see the gp2x in playasia.com, the nub looks much much different. How will I know if my nub will be a smooth full grey one, or a circular one with a hollow depth... thank you!

-zidane2006

Is not analog :)
I don´t know the answer to your question sorry.

All new joystick caps will be of "The Nipple" type ... the pics in Play Asia are accurate.

... and no, it's not analog ...

zidane2006 posted on Mar 5 2007 at 09:50 PM said:
hello everyone ,

I am planning to buy a gp2x soon, but i just have one question...

In many of the youtube videos that I have seen, I see a nice smooth grey nub, but when I see the gp2x in playasia.com, the nub looks much much different. How will I know if my nub will be a smooth full grey one, or a circular one with a hollow depth... thank you!

-zidane2006

The stick caps changed styles in the newer units. The old smooth and small nub was hard to use as the grip was poor. In the newer revision it is lika a small "dish" and the leverage and grip is improved.

The good news is that these caps can be pulled off and you can press on whichever style you want on them.

Also as has been said the stick is digital, which is better for emus than an analog.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow thanks for the speedy replies, i didnt know the one with the satellite looking kind were better...thanks a lot for the information guys! *runs off to purchase a GP2x*

I have JUST this morning taken delivery of my new D-Padded gp2x, and I am thrilled to bits! It is just brilliant, and I recommend it to everyone.

I might get a bit boring in the forums, raving about it! It is just amazing!!!!

Thanks Dave and Ed.

lubidog posted on Mar 6 2007 at 03:14 AM said:
I have JUST this morning taken delivery of my new D-Padded gp2x, and I am thrilled to bits! It is just brilliant, and I recommend it to everyone.

I might get a bit boring in the forums, raving about it! It is just amazing!!!!

Thanks Dave and Ed.
What?? They have one? how much? Is the service available? Is yours just a test unit? Please rant away! Do you use it with the Radek chip or just ignore the diagonals? I'm off to search your other posts. I really need one on my MK1.

ED has the mod from time to time in his shop ... it runs out very fast though. Mine was 30.00EUR (if you install the mod yourself, it's cheaper) + 10€ for the stickbutton.
And no .... it's not a testunit :) ... ... and there are no diagonals. BUT you don't need any diagonals. every program i tested since i got this mod runs marvelous. Gngeo used to be incompatible, but this was fixed in the last version ;). I have to say ... the dpad is much better than the stick ... in my opinion .. i know other people say the stick is better (e.g. vimacs).

I have to say ... thanks ED and DaveC for the mod :D

god_at_hell posted on Mar 9 2007 at 08:55 PM said:
And no .... it's not a testunit :) ... ... and there are no diagonals. BUT you don't need any diagonals. every program i tested since i got this mod runs marvelous.

Well to clarify. When you say there are no diagonals you mean there are no HARDWARE diagonal *switches*.

There are logical diagonals that are interpreted by pressing 2 directions at once (which is how all game systems like SNES GBA etc work).

In otherwords when you play a game and you move diagonal it works. You don't notice any difference from this pad and the stick, no directions are lost.

Dave,
where can this joystick be purchased from?
is there a web page showing how to make the mod etc.
so i can see if it within my skill range.
which software / OS upgraded are required to be fully compatible / as compatible as possible after the upgrade.
thanks,
GaRy:)

Having lived with it for a few days I love it more and more! It really finishes the GP2x off for me.

What more can I say? It's utterly great! Looks sexy too!

lubidog posted on Mar 10 2007 at 11:19 AM said:
Having lived with it for a few days I love it more and more! It really finishes the GP2x off for me.

What more can I say? It's utterly great! Looks sexy too!
:(, I can't play anything with this piece-o'crap stick. Nuts, I should get on with the d-padding.

Back