Question About Overclocking

GPM2k6

Still Fresh
Ok, I installed GMenu2x, and got it working. I also know how to use it's overclock feature, but I'm wondering what are the potential risks. I know in the wiki it specifies it, however, I'd like some feedback from the community. (The wiki says 250 and under is safe, and something like 100 will obviously be too low, unless it's just for music).

I've also read that some units go as high as 300, so let's say I tried to make it go to 300, how would I know if it could handle that much?

Thanks in advanced.

It is hard to damage your gp2x through overclocking as the gp2x will crash before any hardware damage occurs.
If you want to find the maximum speed it can go, download the cpu tweaker / tester from the archive.gp2x.de and that has a test on to find your maximum speed

Have fun! :D

Now, for a bit of physics.

In computers, the processors generate a lot of heat, even more so at increased clock speeds. This can damage the core.

In a ARM9 like the GP2x has, even when over clocked, they generate very little heat, I have mine at 270 just now. What causes the GP2x to crash is the minimum amount of time it takes for a transistor in your GP2x's CPU to change state. If it can't change fast enough for the clockspeed the core is attempting to run at. You get crashes. Over clocking the GP2x to 300mhz is safe, within reason.

I see, thanks justthisguy for the simple explanation and sam fisher for the complex 1.
I'm going to get that utility right now, and see how powerful my gp2x can go. :ph34r:

I realise that it will vary a bit from console to console but are there any recognised 'standards' for clock speeds to be used on different games / emus?

gamer2x posted on Oct 23 2006 at 04:51 PM said:
I realise that it will vary a bit from console to console but are there any recognised 'standards' for clock speeds to be used on different games / emus?

266 is the most common speed overclocked to, if that's what you mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah for Max Performance 266 MHZ is usually the standard, for example in NeoGeo games, at 266 you can run almost every game at full speed with sound. Without sound at 200 you can many without sound, with sound you need around 220 +

However, for other consoles 200 is fine, so it depends. And on the PSX you need over 200 to get the best possible performance. As for music, sometimes under 200 works well, and you can conserve battery this way.

240MHz is the standard overclock if anything. Apparently all GP2x's can reach at least this, whereas many can't get to 266MHz.

As for emus, usually if any overclocking is needed then the higher the better.

Back