Q: Which Emus Can Use Usb Controllers?

jimid2

Website
Visit site
Okay guys, I know that Picodrive has good support for USB controllers, and I've heard that MAME will support them as well. Can anyone confirm if there are any other current EMUs that support USB controllers? I'm wondering specifically about NeoGeo and CPS2.

thanks! :)

I'm wondering specifically about NeoGeo and CPS2.

Sorry, mate! These great emus don't use usb-controllers, but I think ell (from cps2) would do this, if somebody asked ......
And for NeoGeo - this comes from the gngeo group, and I think we should ask them as well. It would be awesome to use our little gp'leasure' 2x as an multiconsole!! :rolleyes:

stay cheesey

KingCheese said:
I'm wondering specifically about NeoGeo and CPS2.

Sorry, mate! These great emus don't use usb-controllers, but I think ell (from cps2) would do this, if somebody asked ......
And for NeoGeo - this comes from the gngeo group, and I think we should ask them as well. It would be awesome to use our little gp'leasure' 2x as an multiconsole!! :rolleyes:

That's funny - I was just looking at the wiki entry for CPS2, and it states that CPS2 "support usb joypad(maximum 4 player)" as of test v.5 :( Have you actually tried to get this working KC?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I got my cradle in the mail today, and I stole an hour to play with it tonight... Here's what I learned...

Using an el-cheapo Logitech Precision USB joypad (looks like a blue PS1 joystick, kinda) I was instantly able to play PicoDrive, MAME and GNGeo2X (using the 7a beta2 release posted above) working. Picodrive support is wonderful, as you can map the joystick buttons to whatever you like (I just mirrored my GP2X setup) and MAME is fine with the one and two button games I tried (haven't given Defender a whirl yet, though). GNGeo2x is fantastic, with the sole exception that I haven't figured out how to map the buttons yet (or even if I can) and so I've got a kind of weird default mapping that plays a little bizarre in Garou MotW (but could work fine in other games, I don't know yet) - what I mean is that the game plays fine with the USB controller, but the L and S punch buttons and L and S kick buttons are across from each other rather than side by side or one above the other, so it takes some getting used to. Also, you have to use the GP2X stick and buttons to select settings, select and launch the ROM, etc. in the menu front end. These little things aside, however, I'm very impressed with how well it works!

I did try CPS2 but couldn't get it working there - I'll give it another try tomorrow, but I'm burnt and need some serious ZZZZs

All in all I'm very impressed with how well USB controllers work in PicoDrive, MAME and GNGeo2X - kudos to the devs!

I haven't tried anything with TV out yet either, but I'll get to that tomorrow too, with luck! :lol:

jimid2 said:
GNGeo2x is fantastic, with the sole exception that I haven't figured out how to map the buttons yet (or even if I can) and so I've got a kind of weird default mapping that plays a little bizarre in Garou MotW (but could work fine in other games, I don't know yet)

Configuration is done by editing the gngeorc file in the conf folder. You should look at a line like this:
CODE

p1joy 2,3,0,1,5,4,0,1,1,1

These numbers correspond to the folowing: A,B,C,D,START,COIN,AXE_X,AXE_Y,AXE_X_DIR,AXE_Y_DIR
I think that for most joystick, AXE_X Y and AXE_X_DIR AXE_Y_DIR should be correct. The rest can be easily guessed.

And thanks for the comments :)

pepone said:
jimid2 said:
GNGeo2x is fantastic, with the sole exception that I haven't figured out how to map the buttons yet (or even if I can) and so I've got a kind of weird default mapping that plays a little bizarre in Garou MotW (but could work fine in other games, I don't know yet)

Configuration is done by editing the gngeorc file in the conf folder. You should look at a line like this:
CODE

p1joy 2,3,0,1,5,4,0,1,1,1

These numbers correspond to the folowing: A,B,C,D,START,COIN,AXE_X,AXE_Y,AXE_X_DIR,AXE_Y_DIR
I think that for most joystick, AXE_X Y and AXE_X_DIR AXE_Y_DIR should be correct. The rest can be easily guessed.

And thanks for the comments :)

Thank You! This is great - I'll try it this weekend!! :) I should have noted in the above post (and would have, if I wasn't so damned tired) that the default mapping in GNGeo2X is "correct" in the sense that it maps the input buttons in a sensible fashion that works perfectly with games like Metal Slug and the like, but fighters like Garou and Fatal Fury require a different mapping to be able to pull off multi-button presses with just your thumb...

Hey, I got the Logitech Precision controller to work with Cps2 but all I can do is insert coins... :(

Any Idea whats wrong?

Shifty said:
Hey, I got the Logitech Precision controller to work with Cps2 but all I can do is insert coins... :(

Any Idea whats wrong?
Stick it in the 2nd USB port from the left, then go into the settings and "refresh USB device". This works for me, but I have no idea why :)

TelcoLou said:
Shifty said:

Any Idea whats wrong?
Stick it in the 2nd USB port from the left, then go into the settings and "refresh USB device". This works for me, but I have no idea why :)

Thanks, I will try it when I get home.

Back