Release Puppy Linux or DSL?

quadomatic

DingooWiki Admin
Website
www.opendingoo.com
Since the Pandora would come with Gmenu2X by default instead of a regular operating system (this is correct, right?), does anyone know if it would be possible to run a lightweight distribution like Puppy or DSL on the Pandora? I'm not sure if these operating systems have been compiled for ARM like Ubuntu has.

neither are compiled for arm afaik... you wont need it though because what ever we have will be optimized.

I think gmenu2x is just an app not a OS

Well it will have a regular OS in the sense that linux is an OS. I can't see why it wouldn't be possible to just run X server + whatever window manager you want on top of the stock linux. Rather than go for a whole new distro.

puppylinux is built with T2 now... which supports arm and could be set up to optimise a disto to the MAX for the arm cortex a8 not that i think it has been done

i build an i686 smp base for puppylinux and they were considerably faster than slackware binaries and more stable

puppylinux is not really a good place to start for a handheld distro especially since they target different archs

T2 however has huge potential it could be used to build the nand images much like openembedded but T2 claims several advantages

Back