Problem with Vice64

Mortenx

Still Fresh
I seem to run into a strange problem with the Vice64 Emulator. After using for a while, I get a "VICE ERROR - Sound: Sound buffer overflow (cycle based)". After this happens, I will not get any sound from the emulator anymore. Not even after restarting it. So far, the only "solution" I seem to have, is to delete the vice-folder inside the appdata-folder on my SD-card. That resets everything, but it has become quite inconvenient to have to adjust all the settings, copy all the games back etc.

Anyone have a solution to this?

Cheers,

Shaolin

^ This has been an issue since early on, and I'm not aware of any VICE updates that might have fixed it. A reboot always gets it working again, though, in my experience, so deleting the appdata directory and losing all of your settings might be a bit overkill here. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! :D Then it's not just me. ;) And you're right, rebooting seems to be enough now. At one point I did have to clear out the appdata, because everything got messed up, but now it looks fine. :)

Well, here's hoping for an update of Vice at some point. :D

;) You don't even need to restart the emulator.

Just go to the sound settings and enable the sound, as VICE simply switches it off when it ran out of buffer.

To prevent this from happening, increase the sound buffer of Vice (can be set up in the menu) or increase your CPU clock :)

I've lowered my sound settings to 22050 Hz, and I don't, or very rarely ever get that error anymore.

Somewhat newbie question, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does Vice64 run "zip" rom files?

Thanks!

Found another issue in Vice..

Every so often I load a disk and it fails.. drops back to a prompt! but the prompt is flashing really fast and the emulator is doing about 350% and about 11fps!

weird.. when it happens I have to exit and go back in...

once it happened in a game.. it was all choppy and fast!

any ideas??

In VICE's menu, there is a section headed "Speed Settings". What you describe there is in fact "Warp Mode", which is used to skipping over long loading times. Simply toggle it off and it will stop.

Regarding the disks, that's not necessarily a failure to load. What I've observed with those is that sometimes you have to wait several minutes (and that's with Warp Mode on!) for them to bother to start loading. I don't know why that is.

What I ultimately did was go through all of my games (both tape and disk), and create save-states from late in their loading processes, so that the loading times are cut out, and so that there's no need to mess around with the oddball behaviour of loading disk-dumps. :p

Hi.

I already found this warp mode setting.. and it`s not starred *

So I guess it`s off... still does it :(

In VICE's menu, there is a section headed "Speed Settings". What you describe there is in fact "Warp Mode", which is used to skipping over long loading times. Simply toggle it off and it will stop.

Regarding the disks, that's not necessarily a failure to load. What I've observed with those is that sometimes you have to wait several minutes (and that's with Warp Mode on!) for them to bother to start loading. I don't know why that is.

What I ultimately did was go through all of my games (both tape and disk), and create save-states from late in their loading processes, so that the loading times are cut out, and so that there's no need to mess around with the oddball behaviour of loading disk-dumps. :p

Back