Powergenix Rechargable Nizn 1.6V Aa Cells.

coldfish

Just wondering if anyone has tried these AA's with the GP2X?

They sound like a better fit for the 2X's power needs than NiMH cells, higher voltage 1.6V as opposed to 1.2V of NiMH.

I cant find anywhere in Aus that stocks them yet, dammit.

maybe 3.2v is too much in the baterry input,don't know if there's any diference in the voltage circuit between the AC adaptor hole and the battery slots.
I can't find them here so we'll have to wait till someone try them

laharl said:
maybe 3.2v is too much in the baterry input,don't know if there's any diference in the voltage circuit between the AC adaptor hole and the battery slots.
I can't find them here so we'll have to wait till someone try them

I seriously doubt that an extra .2 volts would do anything to harm the machine. Remember, new alkaline cells can be as high as 1.6 and 1.5 is the standard not 1.2

EDIT:
These are only 1500mah and are about equal to 2000mah 1.2v cells. With the poor connection of the gp2x, I would think higher voltages might be better than the lower voltages. Unfortunately, they need to be charged with a custom charger which makes a set of 4 around $30 + shipping. I will probably stick to my regular 1.2 batteries until someone posts that they do better.

Does anyone know if the enloop or other slow self-discharge batteries perform better in a gp2x than the standard discharge ones?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, there seems to be some confusion over capacity, a few places mention 2500mWh.

More importantly it is a full 1.65 volt rechargeable battery so all devices that require, or merely perform slightly better with, a higher voltage will LOVE this battery.

High Energy Density - The PowerGenix battery has up to a third more the energy density of a traditional nickel-cadmium (NiCd) battery when measured by either weight (Watt hours per kilogram) or by volume (Watt hours per liter).
http://www.greenbatteries.com/nizn8packaa.html

Powergenix site doesn't seem to state capacity in mAh:
http://www.powergenix.com/products.php#

Ive read a few reviews of people using them in cameras and they sound pretty positive when compared to NiMH.

Also, 3.2V in the GP2X doesnt seem to be a problem, people on these fora have successfully modded the GP2X to take 3x 1.2V NiMH cells (total 3.6V+) and report that runtime is disproportionately improved as the 2X's power circuit seems to be more efficient in the 3V - 3.6V range.

As soon as I can get a set of these I'll try them out.

I got an email back from a rep stating:

Thank you for your interest in Powergenix.

At this time, we do not have distribution in Australia - we are working on this currently. However, I do know we are available through Amazon Canada - are you able to purchase for shipment to Australia through them?

For more information on PowerGenix, please refer to our website: www.powergenix.com.

Regards,
Angela Liljegren
Product Manager
PowerGenix

@ christo930, Ive been using Varta slow discharge 2100mAh NiMH's in my GP2X for a few months and I'd "guess" they'd last about as good as my Duracell 2650mAh normal NiMH's.
So, my impression is that although they have lower max capacity they retain it longer giving roughly the same results over a 3-7day period of use, where the GP2X might be used for 2-3 hours over that time period.
A freshly charged set of Duracells will still outlast a fresh set of Varta if their both used immediately for as long as possible.
The great thing about the Varta is that I can charge them whenever it convenient and get better runtime a week later, the Duracells seem to be almost dead a week or so after charging.

coldfis said:
Hmm, there seems to be some confusion over capacity, a few places mention 2500mWh.

More importantly it is a full 1.65 volt rechargeable battery so all devices that require, or merely perform slightly better with, a higher voltage will LOVE this battery.

High Energy Density - The PowerGenix battery has up to a third more the energy density of a traditional nickel-cadmium (NiCd) battery when measured by either weight (Watt hours per kilogram) or by volume (Watt hours per liter).
http://www.greenbatteries.com/nizn8packaa.html

Powergenix site doesn't seem to state capacity in mAh:
http://www.powergenix.com/products.php#

Ive read a few reviews of people using them in cameras and they sound pretty positive when compared to NiMH.

Also, 3.2V in the GP2X doesnt seem to be a problem, people on these fora have successfully modded the GP2X to take 3x 1.2V NiMH cells (total 3.6V+) and report that runtime is disproportionately improved as the 2X's power circuit seems to be more efficient in the 3V - 3.6V range.

As soon as I can get a set of these I'll try them out.

I got an email back from a rep stating:

Thank you for your interest in Powergenix.

At this time, we do not have distribution in Australia - we are working on this currently. However, I do know we are available through Amazon Canada - are you able to purchase for shipment to Australia through them?

For more information on PowerGenix, please refer to our website: www.powergenix.com.

Regards,
Angela Liljegren
Product Manager
PowerGenix

@ christo930, Ive been using Varta slow discharge 2100mAh NiMH's in my GP2X for a few months and I'd "guess" they'd last about as good as my Duracell 2650mAh normal NiMH's.
So, my impression is that although they have lower max capacity they retain it longer giving roughly the same results over a 3-7day period of use, where the GP2X might be used for 2-3 hours over that time period.
A freshly charged set of Duracells will still outlast a fresh set of Varta if their both used immediately for as long as possible.
The great thing about the Varta is that I can charge them whenever it convenient and get better runtime a week later, the Duracells seem to be almost dead a week or so after charging.

Thanks. My usage pattern would probably favor the slow-discharge batteries over the high cap standards. I generally only use my gp2x a few hours a week but find that they are unable to boot the gp2x after about a week even if I don't use it.

Thanks again,

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Back