[POLL] Snap Dragon vs Nvidia Tegra as the soc.

what should the soc be.

• Snap Dragon

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Nvidia Tegra

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • other

Votes: 12 48.0%

• Total voters

It is a shame that made their DSP weaker :( .

Not binary compatible dsp code? This sucks :( .

Maybe the dauther board approach with the Z3770 or the ARM SoC looks way nicer now :) .

But to be realistic, I think it will be the Omap5. Best compatibility, which is very important to ED, good performance, reliable, proofed manufacturer and distributor, good availability.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Exophase/Rohezal:

You can find info about / download links for the sprite engine buried somewhere in this thread http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14334-announce-c64-tools-dsp-loader-and-ipc/page-1

The render loops have improved a bit (~33% faster now, i.e. ~133 MPixel/sec for alpha blended, saturated ARGB32 sprites) since the last public release and I'm currently working on a new graphics API that will incorporate the sprite engine plus several other/new DSP routines.

I'll post it when it's ready.

MORE VOTING! because somebody from Nvidia is going to read this thread and drop a new SOC on ED...... based on your voting

People sure are getting excited about Tegra 5 even though nVidia revealed nothing at all about the CPU cores. Rumor's going around that it'll be Cortex-A15s still and on 28nm again as well, which would probably just mean a minor refresh vs Tegra 4.

^ Ive also heard that it may still be  Cortex-A15s at 28nm on the CPU side, but I think people are getting excited about the GPU side, which is supposedly a big update to that used in the Tegra 4.

^ Ive also heard that it may still be  Cortex-A15s at 28nm on the CPU side, but I think people are getting excited about the GPU side, which is supposedly a big update to that used in the Tegra 4.
I get that, it's just weird seeing people here this hyped up just over the GPU. Who knows what everyone else will have available at that point anyway.

I do think it's pretty out there to actually think nVidia is going to send very early engineering samples of their next chip (assuming any are ready at all) when it looks unlikely that ED would even be able to get their currently shipping chip. If there's any kind of engineering hardware for an SoC that won't be out for several months then I'm sure only nVidia's top partners would have access to it. I think there's a popular idea that engineering hardware for ARM SoCs is floating around well in advance because it was for OMAP3 back when Pandora was being developed.. but things have changed since then, the release cycles have become a lot more aggressive (hence why TI isn't making SoCs for phones and tablets anymore)

Well the reason I'm excited about tegra 5 is the GPU, not so much/dont care about, CPU because I haven't seen too much of a difference between A15s so far that can't be explained by higher clocks, more cores etc. The differences, while noticeable don't really have any shining smash them all winner. (Snapdragon comes close I guess) However Nvidia said in one of their presentations it wants to transform the mobile space like it did with PC. Licensing out their GPU chipsets and whatnot. Tegra 5 is supposed to have opengl 4.3 support. Not just ES, which I think is pretty awesome and should allow a lot more PC software to be ported in the future. Their vision was to start with the tegra4, but was supposed to really hit its stride in concept with tegra 5

Out of those two, I think Snapdragon is the best choice and maybe also the more realistic one.

Why did you only consider those two? What about OMAP5, Exynos, and all the chinese stuff?
i picked those chips for this for two reasons 

1. the first things that came to mind when i thought soc

2. they seem to be the best known soc chips

Back