Pidgin freezes.

Silent-Hunter

Hardcore Member
Pidgin freezes after a minute to a few minutes of use. Always. I don't know how to get more information for a bug report.

The problem you suffer from is a known audio problem with Pidgin...

Go into preferences where the list of different notification sounds is... and remove the ticker in each checkbox to disable all notification sounds.

This fixes the freezing you suffer from.

Keep in mind though, you gotta disable every notification sound in PREFERENCES - don't pick "Mute Sounds" in menu... this won't fix the problem.

And also don't run it alongside Deadbeef (and possibly some other audio players; I only use Deadbeef, though, so I can't comment on any others), as that will make it very crashy, even with all of the sounds disabled as Coldbird describes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird... Im using Audacity and never had problems running it next to Pidgin.

You might wanna try that Prometheus.

I'm guessing you mean Audacious? ;)

It's not really a problem, to be honest - the occasions when I feel a need to use them together are near-enough non-existent of late. :lol: I just figured that it was worth pointing out that Deadbeef will make Pidgin crash-happy.

I'm guessing you mean Audacious? ;)

It's not really a problem, to be honest - the occasions when I feel a need to use them together are near-enough non-existent of late. :lol: I just figured that it was worth pointing out that Deadbeef will make Pidgin crash-happy.
Yes, yes of course I ment Audacious... sheesh... my mind is weird lately, guess I'm mixing too many projects at one time... (3 Projects right now, one Pandora related, 2 PSP related...)

^ Haha, I see. :lol:

Also, good gracious, I just realised that I managed to miss Silent-Hunter's question. Try looking in /usr/tmp/ for pndrun_pidgin.out, or something similarly named - that should yield a log file which may provide the information you're after.

The problem you suffer from is a known audio problem with Pidgin...

Go into preferences where the list of different notification sounds is... and remove the ticker in each checkbox to disable all notification sounds.

This fixes the freezing you suffer from.

Keep in mind though, you gotta disable every notification sound in PREFERENCES - don't pick "Mute Sounds" in menu... this won't fix the problem.
Well now it's even worse. Freezes right away. I disabled all the sounds.

EDIT: Nevermind, reboot fixed it.

Back