Pdf And Cbr Files?

TylerAW said:
Is it possible for the Pandora to read PDF and CBR files?

I was wondering the same thing. I'm sure there's some kind of app or one that can be ported. The Pandora would make a pretty good eBook reader. Especially if you tilted it sideways and could flick through pages with the stylus. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a pdf-viewer working already (skip to ~3:00)-

Not too sure about cbr files, though.

PDF we have already seen working. Never heard of CBR. Should be a question of software? Is there a linux app that can read CBR?

I had never heard of CBR until last year where I started looking for downloads of Sonic Comics, most comics on torrent sites are put in CBR format and I can see why. the programs that read it handle them quite well and they scroll perfectly unlike PDF.

paulguy said:
Isn't cbr just images in a rar? That might pose a difficulty as rar is proprietary. Might have to repackage then as cbz (zip).
ark and 7-zip can both open RAR, so I think there are legit open-source RAR decompression algorithms out there.
cbz is better, though, or even cbgz. I fucking hate RAR. Motherfuckers always pack torrents in RAR like they're something special, and it's just an extra step of difficulty to save them like 4% bandwidth... on a TORRENT. I mean wtf.

Haters gonna hate, noobs gonna use RAR. :-||
Edit: Forums gonna ruin my custom emoticons.

Well if rar does work on open source stuff then what's the problem with cbr? I can see it maybe being a performance problem, especially if they used solid archive.

lulzfish said:
paulguy said:
Isn't cbr just images in a rar? That might pose a difficulty as rar is proprietary. Might have to repackage then as cbz (zip).
ark and 7-zip can both open RAR, so I think there are legit open-source RAR decompression algorithms out there.
The presence of open-source algorithms doesn't necessarily mean the software isn't patent-encumbered. This is not an issue in many jurisdictions outside the US, though, so maybe OP won't have to worry about it. It might not ship with the Pandora out of the box, though, same as the other patent-encumbered video codecs.

lulzfish said:
paulguy said:
cbz is better, though, or even cbgz. I fucking hate RAR. Motherfuckers always pack torrents in RAR like they're something special, and it's just an extra step of difficulty to save them like 4% bandwidth... on a TORRENT. I mean wtf.

Haters gonna hate, noobs gonna use RAR. > :(
Edit: Forums gonna ruin my custom emoticons.

RAR was handy back in the dialup days and before bit-torrent... All I'm going to say on that.

Back