Beta Pandora-Msx

zx-81

Certified Guru
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
Hi,

Here is a beta version of Pandora-Msx, a port of the Wiz version i've made months ago :
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/public/pandora/msx/pandora-msx-v1.1.0-beta.zip

For performance reason, it's better not to run this emu under xfce.
The touch screen is not supported, but everything else should already work propely
(with all features i've added in wiz version, i.e: cheat, save states, auto-fire etc ...)

Pandora keyboard is also working (but may be not all special keys).

If you prefer to use the d-pad instead of the left nub for the joystick (for example in arkanoid, d-pad is better)
then you just have to set "Swap Analog/Cursor" to Yes in Joystick settings menu.

I've added truetype font in my "old-school & ugly" text based menu (file is font.ttf).
If you find a better "fixed width" font ttf file, please let me know and i will integrate it in final release.

Cheers, Zx

craigix said:
:D

Fantastic! I especially love seeing computer emulators on the Pandora because they can use the keyboard.

next one would be my favorite one : cpc (even if i've seen another cap32 port in beta thread, two ports might be better than zero :D )

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news, never played a real MSX, went the speccy, MS, Amiga route, but will give some games a go, btw does this emulator support MSX2 too?

And yeah the more the merrier, more emulators always pushes each others as well, if it has anything like the easiest CPC emu i've used (crocoDS) I'd be very happy!

eDIT: just read the readme, does support it:)

jaycee900 said:
And yeah the more the merrier, more emulators always pushes each others as well, if it has anything like the easiest CPC emu i've used (crocoDS) I'd be very happy!

My CPC port is running full speed (80 fps for sorcery :p) and it has all features from wiz version + keyboard support. i will release it soon (in few hours) as a beta :p

zx-81 said:
jaycee900 said:

My CPC port is running full speed (80 fps for sorcery :p ) and it has all features from wiz version + keyboard support. i will release it soon (in few hours) as a beta :p
Ah well, I guess I can stop working on it then and leave it in your well capable hands...
Time to work on my original game concept instead :)

hdonk said:
zx-81 said:
jaycee900 said:

My CPC port is running full speed (80 fps for sorcery :p ) and it has all features from wiz version + keyboard support. i will release it soon (in few hours) as a beta :p
Ah well, I guess I can stop working on it then and leave it in your well capable hands...
Time to work on my original game concept instead :)

It's all as you want, anyway i'm really bad at GUI so you can still take my wiz/pandora source and replace enhanced/optimized parts in yours and make a QT gui as you wanted to do.

If you want to give it a try to this quick wiz -> pandora port here is a pnd :
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/public/pandora/cap32/pandora-cap32-v1.1.0-alpha.zip

I will release the source code this weekend with official release (same for msx).

whoo a true portable msx :) im very happy with this

what would be the best speed, games seem a bit fast at 60 fps is itdifferent per game or wat was the normal fps of the msx.

haha its been quite awhile since ive had one

Bosbeetle said:
whoo a true portable msx :) im very happy with this

what would be the best speed, games seem a bit fast at 60 fps is itdifferent per game or wat was the normal fps of the msx.

haha its been quite awhile since ive had one

pal games should run at 50 fps, and ntsc at 60 ... the speed limiter is not really accurate so it sometimes better to slow it down (58 fps for example).

Alerino said:
ran new beta with headphones, sound is great left side, choppy and crackly at right side. most games at 45 fps ran at original game speed.

THANKS A LOT ZX! I can now remember my 1990 afternoons again, that datacorder irritating sound :D

nice tip :) will put it at 45 fps, games get insanly difficult at to fast speeds.

x68000 said:
@zx-81 Will you be updating the emulator to automatically run the games at the correct speeds?

^that would be a nice feature.

For me the sound is also only good in the left channel (if my ears dont lie to me, could be the right channel as well) but not the other. But I havent got hotfix3 on my pandora yet so i'll report back when they release that.

Yeah, sound is pretty weird. Sometimes, it only comes out of the left speaker, sometimes, it just skips on one or the other speaker.

EvilDragon said:
Yeah, sound is pretty weird. Sometimes, it only comes out of the left speaker, sometimes, it just skips on one or the other speaker.

For me one channel always seems okay that is if I put the framelimit at 45fps

Yeah I had a little bash on a few games last night and the sound is pretty screwed. I tried changing some of the settings but I never got the sound to play any better but it's not bad for a first release though and I'm not complaining :)

Back