Pandora and QWERTY

Thanks, I know about software ways, I was just wanted to know how difficult for ED to change the layout on the pandy. Here's hoping ^.^

Askarus swapped keys on his Pandora (link anyone ?).

As the keyboard is a band of rubber, it's easy to cut through and rearrange the layout.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys, although... I wounder if it might not be somthing more people would like?
There's probably a few Pandora users that would be interested in alternative keyboard layouts, sure, but I think that you'll find that the vast majority of users would prefer the traditional "qwerty" layout.  At least among predominantly English-speaking nations.  It's what I grew up using, and got accustomed to anyway.  Another consideration is that you could order an extra keymat with the necessary buttons loose/unaffixed  to the mat maybe?  You could assemble/glue the buttons to the mat in the order you prefer?  I'm not entirely sure if that's feasible - I haven't looked into this option before (I don't know HOW they buttons are held by the rubber keymat).  I'd ask ED if you can order these products seperately so that you can assemble your own keyboard.  Plus that would allow you to retain your original "qwerty" one, so that you could swap it back easier.

I think the buttons are a hard coating on the 'rubber' keymat.

To rearrange them, cut out a section around a button and swap it with  a different one.

I would recommend buying a spare keymat before doing this ;)

Thank all of you, so hey ED would that even be a possibility? Take your time, I'm not gonna be able to get one for a bit. Love the whole thing anyway

EDIT: I do mean buying a spare keymat for the Pandora

Most manufactures would require ordering them in the thousands, I doubt EvilDragon would think it would be a good idea to invest in that large of an order to accommodate what would most likely be less than 100 people (being generous) interested in a dvorak keyboard.

Would it have worked to order a few thousand dvorak keyboards at the same time as the qwerty ones, and to ship one of each with each pandora in case people want to swap.

You could ship the unit with whichever the buyer chose installed and people don't generally get upset about another 4EUR in a 440EUR product.

Would it have worked to order a few thousand dvorak keyboards at the same time as the qwerty ones, and to ship one of each with each pandora in case people want to swap.

You could ship the unit with whichever the buyer chose installed and people don't generally get upset about another 4EUR in a 440EUR product.
And a german layout and a french layout keyboard and a russian layout keyboard, (all which would have more demand than dvorak) and "4 euro doen't count".

so no, Binky. Not a good idea.

Are you trying to say that shipping spare keyboards for whichever layouts people want would mean an extra 4*4=16EUR, and that people definitely do care about +/- 16EUR?

I can see that that's a valid point.

I don't think that the limited demand for various layouts would have been worth all the effort and money (for the OP Team).  They had a hard enough time trying to get cases and working PCBs.   :unsure: Not to mention various other parts.  It was a good idea to go with a universal standard (IMO).  If someone truly desires an option, then there are always possibilities - start "hacking".  Or pay someone else to do it.

Hopefully ED will see this thread soon, but maybe Frederico would also be well served to PM Link about this (or even Askarus)...after all, Link is the official distributor in his market's region.  Plus he might have knowledge of experienced modders closer to Frederico.

I certainly hope that we haven't derailed a serious question intended for ED...(looks up at sky for impending lightning bolt)...

Back