Ot : Aigo Mid (intel Atom Based)

R

randomhack

http://umpcfever.com/news/?postid=828

These guys got their hands on a Aigo MID based on 800 mhz intel atom.
The battery life quoted very roughly as 2 hours on a 3.7V 2700mAh battery.
Price estimate quoted in the article is nearly $750 US.
Dont think MIDs will affect the Pandora much.

Well.... look at it's direct competitor, the OQO. Honestly, MID's blow the OQO out of the water in my mind. Sure it's not as fast, but it's enough for document viewing, media playback, Internet browsing, etc. Some would say the N810 is a much better alternative, but the key is that it can offers this on Windows, which is the opperating system most familliar to corporate america.

That being said, Midinux doesn't look half bad. That is probably Hildon, but it looks like it could be a good competitor to Ubuntu Mobile. We honestly need more kinetic scrolling for this touch devices.....

These MIDs really don't compare to Pandora. They're very different devices, and I think Pandora's core audience will see that immediately.

If anything pandora should offer better battery life & value.
I for one could care less about x86 compatibility.

Prophet said:
These MIDs really don't compare to Pandora. They're very different devices, and I think Pandora's core audience will see that immediately.
So, you, I and the OP are all in agreement? Good.

I for one like x86 compatibility, when I am running closed-source/abandonware/bizarre-eclectic-hacked hardware that Needs to be running Windows.

PS these systems are our best shot at DOS/Win95/Win98 gaming in a portable (not just what "could" be emulated on a powerful enough ARM system, without true Win95/98; but nearly all of them, in one swoop, natively).

These "MIDs" are not going to infringe on the Homebrew Emulation of the Pandora, but for x86 compatibility and straight up retro PC gaming they really have a leg up.

Strike one against them is lack of any thought to gaming controls, So Pandora is so far in the lead there is no argument. NVM the 2X higher price and the 1/5 - 1/10 battery life, or worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
...or combine it with the M528 thread, since the Aigo MID is the Gigabyte M528.

At least this one is priced much lower. Anyway, battery life seems very disappointing. I expected a much better figure. They've promised to double battery life with Atom, haven't they? Haven't they said that the expected battery life was going to be 4-5 hours. Oh..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back