Open links in new window/tab as default

I agree, but it's not too bad if you use a mouse (middle click). Get's a bit annoying on my laptop.

In web development, it's actually considered bad etiquette (edit: or so I've heard) to pop open a new window, especially without first warning the user. If the links remain normal, it's up to the user to decide whether they want to open in a new tab or new window.

I always hold the Ctrl key to open in a new tab if that's specifically what I want to do, even if I know it'll open for me anyway. It's a good habit, and it's nice to be able to control my tabs. :)

I don't know about that. In my experience links in forum posts almost always lead to new windows. Presumably because you want to check the link and then peruse the rest of the discussion. You don't want to have to back into/re browse to the thread and then try to find the post you were at to continue reading the thread.

Spectralist said:
I don't know about that. In my experience links in forum posts almost always lead to new windows. Presumably because you want to check the link and then peruse the rest of the discussion. You don't want to have to back into/re browse to the thread and then try to find the post you were at to continue reading the thread.
Just tape your Ctrl-key down then ;)

I agree that links should be as simple as possible unless there is a specific reason for an individual link to pop-up. I will control how links are followed (ctrl-click = new tab, shift-click = new window). I absolutely hate it when a site decides how my internet experience is going to be.

Back