official word is out, x86 murders arm on every front...

someone ported win rt onto the htc hd2, maybe you can run it on the (new) pandora also?

isn't the same as a full x86 win8 but might cover some need to switch to power hungry x86 chips.

also 14nm will not be done in 5 years i think, they just started going to the 20th something nm and they have to do a lot more to make it work on 16nm...

link: http://www.slashgear.com/windows-rt-ported-to-htc-hd2-27262308/
Why would anyone want to run that THING on their Pandora????? eeeewwww!!!
Seriously, though. There's no point to it. Cant run real windows programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
someone ported win rt onto the htc hd2, maybe you can run it on the (new) pandora also?

isn't the same as a full x86 win8 but might cover some need to switch to power hungry x86 chips.

also 14nm will not be done in 5 years i think, they just started going to the 20th something nm and they have to do a lot more to make it work on 16nm...

Can't say I expected this to happen. Especially not so soon. Hackers never fail to impress me with this stuff..

This doesn't seem like a great match for Pandora's hardware but maybe it'll fit better with Pandora 2. While I'm sure most of us aren't interested I wouldn't fully discount the possibility, even w/o any kind of legacy support it still has the potential to gain a meaningful app library of its own, including possible exclusives (why would there be exclusives? MS funding of course.. and a few people just finding it easier to port to this). Barring all else there is Office.

2 reasons to have it:

even without the x86 we could run windows applications (made for win-rt; like office).

if it sells units, even if you don't want it, why not?

one less reason to have x86.

Next Atom is not going to be 3 times faster in any meaningful sense. It might have 3 times aggregate performance in embarrassingly threaded stuff while at peak frequencies, like in some toy benchmarks, but very little is going to really use four cores heavily in this space. The Tegra 3 reviews where dual core Kraits often beat it just further convince me of this. Speaking of which:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6528/samsung-ativ-tab-review-qualcomms-first-windows-rt-tablet

Much more balanced comparison. Here we have two SoCs made on similar manufacturing generations and put in two tablets made by the same company which presumably have similar supporting hardware (and for instance is not hampered by having to use high frequency DDR3L). Would hardly call this a murder for Intel - they still get a lead in Javascript stuff but now it should be getting clearer that that lead doesn't extend nearly so well outside of it. And it's not winning on power consumption at all, although no very indepth tests were performed yet.

one more thing for exophase to be annoyed of me for

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6536/arm-vs-x86-the-real-showdown

if I am reading correctly it seem like the sammy exynos 5250 has a max tdp of 8 watts before be throttled to hell, back down to 4watts. the amd z-60 has tdp of 4.5 watts without throttling.hmmm...
CPU power consumption peaks at around 3W in all of those graphs. Anandtech themselves estimate it at it 4W. TDP is not the maximum of what CPU, GPU, and everything else can consume for ANY of these platforms, including your beloved Z60. That just makes no sense, because almost nothing is both CPU and GPU limited at the same time, or anywhere close for that matter. If those cases happen they will throttle (or cap turbo boost or whatever you want to call it, it's all the same thing), yes, that much is true for both Intel and AMD's chips. Look at the "3D game" benches to see what CPU load is like in those scenarios. Intel's little toy test is a sham and nothing like a real world scenario. Of course they look great running with their extremely underpowered GPU.

Of course it's heavily loaded of you to say that, I'd say that even when running both CPUs at 1GHz the Z60 doesn't qualify as "not throttled" because 1GHz is far lower than that uarch can handle. And at 1GHz it gets destroyed by 1.7GHz Cortex-A15. The Exynos 5 is proven to run both CPUs at 1.7GHz at < 4W. So if both the Exynos chip and your beloved are given 4.5W I wonder who will perform better? I'm pretty sure I know the answer. And I wonder how much power consumption those CPUs need at only 1GHz, given that A15 has similar perf/MHz as Bobcat. perf/W isn't linear (hence why the 1.6GHz Bobcats are at 18W still), you pay a lot for those peak frequencies. Just because they're there doesn't mean a phone or Pandora needs Cortex-A15s at 1.7+GHz for that processor to be the best choice.

No I don't know how it would compare. I don't know much at all about a chip that isn't even out.

Why would anyone want to run that THING on their Pandora????? eeeewwww!!!

Seriously, though. There's no point to it. Cant run real windows programs.
My personal objection to it is that I can't imagine it running properly on the OP, mostly because the OPT designed the device before MS started working on it. Then there's the diversion of resources, somebody has to make it happen and they could have contributed other things to the handheld.

But, if it could be made to run with decent performance, I'm sure that some people would be interested who aren't. I'm just not personally convinced that it's likely. As Exophase said, hackers never fail to impress.

That being said, I think having Android available is probably enough in that regards as I doubt most Windows software is going to run anyways, at least not more so than was previously possible. New RT software might work though.

x86 in mobile units is about as dumb as as closed source OS on a tracking device, and in that notion,i see where they are going with that (full retard), going from there and considering win rt to be a user-case in which anything should be measured is just asking for it. An age old arm SoC that only has legit android drivers, runnint rt without the power saving features, supposedly saying anything about power consumption.

Wintel on mobile, do not want.

tl;drtfa

Yeah, my mistake, you beat me by posting about it on a different website entirely *rolleyes* Most likely if I hadn't posted here you would have, I beat you to it admit it :p

Back