Oblivion View Preference Poll

What's your preferred view?

• First-Person

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Behind-the Hero View

• Shut up. I don't play Oblivion, you turd!

• Total voters

T

TelcoLou

Yeah, so several hours into the game, I was feeling a bit nauseous. After a short break, I accidentally pushed in the right analog stick, going into camera mode. I instantly liked it, much better than the first-person view (I could see a bit more of my surroundings due to the wider view angle).

It also cured me of my mild motion sickness :) Which is weird, since I can play other first-person games without feeling ill ... hmm.

Well, only this one ... in my 30-odd years of playing video games :p

Resistance Fall of Man doesn't make me sick at all, nor does Wipeout .. um, Gran Turismo .. nothing but this game, and only in first-person view. Odd :blink:

No thanks, I don't feel like sucking up anything ... ;)

It was quite by accident that I discovered all this anyway, so I'm treating it as fate ... now to continue the most important quest of them all ...

... the perfect HDTV :ph34r:

TelcoLou posted on Mar 26 2007 at 11:36 PM said:
Yeah, so several hours into the game, I was feeling a bit nauseous. After a short break, I accidentally pushed in the right analog stick, going into camera mode. I instantly liked it, much better than the first-person view (I could see a bit more of my surroundings due to the wider view angle).

It also cured me of my mild motion sickness :) Which is weird, since I can play other first-person games without feeling ill ... hmm.

On PC? How are your FPS's?

Last edited by a moderator:
I get motion sickness on some PC games, but not Oblivion, and rarely on consoles. Deus Ex on PC was the worst for me... didn't stop me finishing it though :)

I prefered the first person view. It just felt more natural for me to play it that way on the 360. I couldnt stick the third person view on it. Have to say, I enjoyed every minute of the game though. I completed the main story at level 20 and then my bro traded it in so havent been able to play it anymore. I need to get it again.

Gotta say, after about 10 minutes or so of playing most FPS's I get motion sickness, and pretty much need to lie down for an hour. The only exceptions to this rule are 007 Nightfire and HalfLife 2.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 27 2007 at 06:02 PM said:
Lou, what size HDTV are you looking into? Price range?

Samsung is top notch. I have a 40 inch 1080p and with my ps3 it almost brings tears to my eyes :)

Well, here's what we've discovered:

• Vizio 46" LCD sitting right next to a Sony Bravia 46" LCD looked crisper, brighter and had better contrast.
• A 50"Aquos (or maybe 46") LCD looked dull & blurry playing Lego Star Wars (XBOX 360)

... we're leaning toward the 42" Vizio (from Sam's Club), a 46" seems too big for our needs. Oblivion only goes up to 720p anyway :)

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 27 2007 at 07:09 PM said:
hmm. What's the price on that set? I payed ~$1840 shipped for mine. Saved almost 700 bucks buying on amazon :D

Well, it's ~$1000 ... but after seeing the specs, maybe the 46" would be better ...

It's got better contrast ratio

... but I also see a new 47" that supports 1080p ... looks like more research is in order :lol:

I would sincerely suggest you look into this. This is the set I have, and it's infinitely better for the money imo. If you think 1200:1 contrast ratio is better than what the other set had, try this one at a whopping 6000:1. The resolution is better and it has other things that kill the competition.

Great set, I think you'd love it. You only buy a TV like this, what, 1 time every 10 years? At least :)

edit: this is only 40", but it's more than enough! You don't realize until you're playing some fight night in front of it.

edit2: If you must go for gigantic size TVs, this same model comes in a 46" with slight variations.

TelcoLou posted on Mar 28 2007 at 12:42 AM said:
Many thanks for the link ... will take it into consideration :)

You should make sure that it has VGA input too. Not only can you use it with a PC but the Xbox 360 looks super sharp through VGA.

I have both the PS3 (only has HDMI) and the X360 connected to the same Bravia and the HDMI is a blurry mess (has these weird "video" artifacts around high contrast edges, looks more "video-y") compared to the X360 VGA which is much cleaner (like a PC monitor).

DaveC posted on Mar 27 2007 at 09:34 PM said:
TelcoLou posted on Mar 28 2007 at 12:42 AM said:
Many thanks for the link ... will take it into consideration :)

You should make sure that it has VGA input too. Not only can you use it with a PC but the Xbox 360 looks super sharp through VGA.

I have both the PS3 (only has HDMI) and the X360 connected to the same Bravia and the HDMI is a blurry mess (has these weird "video" artifacts around high contrast edges) compared to the X360 VGA which is much cleaner.

Ye gads! Thanks for the additional info ... now my brain has completely dissolved ... WAY too much info to sift through .... all we want is to play Oblivion and watch DVDs (and BluRay) occasionally. :blink:

Well one way or another, I'd pay a little more and grab a 1080p set. Like I said, you only make this purchase 1 time and you're good to go for at least 10 years :lol:. If you dont, you'll be watching blu ray and always wondering "This is so beautiful.....I wonder how the 1080p would be?" :p

Go for the best the market has to offer!

Back