Networking Api

crysnamtodshire

Still Fresh
Website
www.bucketon.com
Does anybody know what networking interface the Pandora will use? My initial assumption would be Berkeley Sockets, but I want to be as sure as possible, and I couldn't find anything on the wiki or in previous posts.

Berkeley Sockets should be available since they're a standard part of Linux.
There will also be whatever socket-like interface your favorite programming language / framework uses, like Java Sockets, Qt Sockets, whatever the hell GTK has, etc.

Edit: Also, this is not a stupid question, it's a stupid idea. Who the hell uses Berkeley Sockets? For ANYTHING?

The Pandora will only support NetBIOS. Any attempt at getting it to work with other protocols or interfaces will cause it to protect itself by increasing its outer temperature to 450 degrees Farenheit.

Rest assured, the Pandora remains safely operational up to 4000 degrees kelvin, so there is no risk of a dangerous equipment malfunction prior to your victory candescence.

crysnamtodshire said:
Does anybody know what networking interface the Pandora will use? My initial assumption would be Berkeley Sockets, but I want to be as sure as possible, and I couldn't find anything on the wiki or in previous posts.
Bog standard BSD-compatible socket layer. You can safely drag out your old copy of W. Richard Stevens and start coding.

Last edited by a moderator:
maiden said:

What's wrong with SDL_net? I'm using that on my current creation (for the first time) and it seems pretty godamn sweet...I.E. it works fine and is bloody easy to implement! In fact, I'm utterly amazed with it's simplicity (I got it working just now, so I'm still excited!)

To be specific..

crysnamtodshire -- same as every Unix/Linux/OSX pretty much ;) ie: yes, 'sockets' (ie: BSD sockets), plus the usual other options. Its a regular Linux kernel, not some Pandora-specific beastie. ie: Win32 uses regular sockets ('more or less') as well, so its bog-standard stuff everyone has been using on every platform since about 1994 :)

No idea why it went bold-happy there; ignore that.

jeff

skeezix said:
To be specific..

crysnamtodshire -- same as every Unix/Linux/OSX pretty much ;) ie: yes, 'sockets' (ie: BSD sockets), plus the usual other options. Its a regular Linux kernel, not some Pandora-specific beastie. ie: Win32 uses regular sockets ('more or less') as well, so its bog-standard stuff everyone has been using on every platform since about 1994 :)

No idea why it went bold-happy there; ignore that.

jeff

Thanks!

Back