My New Gp2x Is Having A Few Issues Need Help Please

milknuggets

Still Fresh
I just purchased a new Gp2x and it is acting up in the following ways:

I downloaded, installed, picodrive, and a program called cpuspeed. I overclocked my cpu to 260 which was the most i could do before my unit crashed in both the picodrive menu and cpuspeed and when I run genesis games like earthworm jim 2 the sound cuts out, and the game slows down so bad its unplayable. I'm having the same choppy sound and slowdown with vay on sega cd. I would like to know if this is normal and if not should i return my unit.

Snes emulator has same issue as picodrive

tv-out to my ntsc 27" tv cuts out the whole bottom and right side of the screen

Gngeo wont recognize any of my roms, and i have included all neccasary bios files

I hope someone can help me with the above mentioned problems. I have searched the forums and used the search functions to find answers so far after about 6 hours of searching I have exhausted any options i think i have. If i've missed something i'm sorry i just want to be able to enjoy my gp2x as much as everyone on the forums enjoys theirs. Thanks for any help you can provide

• Looks like your unit can't OC to 260 .. this is normal .. I've read of units that can only do 240.
• Picodrive plays most, if not ALL games at 200mhz .. try from there and see what happens.
• What settings are you using for Vay? (under the sega CD settings, in PicoDrive's menu)
• Which SNES emu are you using, and what settings?
• TV Out ... this seems to be a common issue.
• GneoGeo ... yeah, this is THE hardest emulator to set up ... have a look at http://gpnewbie.com/ ... it may be of better help than I can offer at the moment.

Try to take things one step at a time. When you're working on ten issues concerning ten different software at the same time, you're likely to get nowhere. The site Telcolou linked to is a great resource, make sure to bookmark it :)

Have fun, and good luck!

Thanks for the help everyone the community on this site is as helpful as their reputation has made them out to be thanks and i will turn the speed down and check out that site

I just clocked my proc down to 240 and turned craigs ram timings both on and off and still shows noticable slowdown while playing earthworm jim 2 its awful to the point of unplayability. I was under the impression that picodrive emulation should play full speed. I'm really concerned that i have a bad unit pleas someone get back to me as i'm ready to take it back but id rather not deal with the hassle if its just an ID10T error

I downgraded my firmware to 2.1.1 just to see if that would help and its still just awful. I just want to keep my progress going on this thread so hopefully someone can give me some better direction.

milknuggets said:
I just clocked my proc down to 240 and turned craigs ram timings both on and off and still shows noticable slowdown while playing earthworm jim 2 its awful to the point of unplayability. I was under the impression that picodrive emulation should play full speed. I'm really concerned that i have a bad unit pleas someone get back to me as i'm ready to take it back but id rather not deal with the hassle if its just an ID10T error
Try using DrMd for Earthworm Jim 2, works perfect for me :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that doom troopers chronicles of doom and earthworm jim 2 are the only games giving me trouble. I tried ranger x and out of this world and they ran fine. I would like to know if anyone else can try those roms and let me know what kind of results theyre getting. When i run vay i have to set the buffering pretty high to get it run without hiccuping is that because of the anime cut scenes are slowing it down, just a thought.

I will download drmd right now to check it out, this experience is a mix of frustration and excitement. Its awesome to think that a decade of gaming goodness will be on my handheld, and it frustrating to think i might have a defective unit.

Somehow Earthworm Jim 2 is incredible sluggish on PicoDrive, so play it on DrMD. However PicoDrive plays most Genesis games fullspeed at 150MHz.
Also, if you have new notes, please edit your last post if the latest post in the thread was made by you :)

drmd works flawlessly its incredible the difference it made zero slowdown sound is perfect better menu in my opinion as well. I also downloaded the new pocketsnes and it plays even bahamut lagoon decent so i am getting really happy really fast. I have a shit eating grin on right now thanks for all the help. If I have any more question, and I might because I'm trying to get neo geo, cps2, mame working I'll ask, but I'm going to try my hand at it first

Just wondering if you enabled the second cpu in picodrive as I didn't see it mentioned. This would give you a great speed boost and allow you to have the cpu set at lower speed. I've personally not had any slowdown issues using picodrive including with Earthworm Jim 2.

The option you need to enable for the second cpu is 'Use ARM940 core for sound'

I did do that now now that you mention it i should have put that in the post. Even with that enabled and the machine overclocked it wasnt running well at all. I put drmd and the game ran perfect.

actually i suspect that the sound issues you were having was because of the sound being on the second core + a high overclock. it seems like the first core in most units can clock higher than the second, and if it crashes in picodrive with the sound on it, maybe the sound goes. i've never had to overclock picodrive enough to crash either core so...

not that crashing is bad for the unit, it's perfectly fine for these types of chips.

Don´t worry, your gp2x isn´t defective, seems to me that you still need a bit of practice setting the emulators up. For one, overclocking is not required for Genesis, so don´t do it. Also GnGeo is very picky about the ROMs it accepts. Try finding a site that offers the latest MAME roms and try to use them.

Back