My Gp2x Stoped Booting!

AmiDog

Still Fresh
I just showed my GP2X to my brother. He played Quake a little, but when quiting Quake the GP2X crashed. Ok, no problem I thought, just turn of the power. However, now my GP2X wont boot any more! It shows the usual start image, plays the start sound and goes on to the loading screen, and there it stops forever.

I had firmware 2.1.0 and I first tried to reflash the firmware, just in case. Didn't help. I then tried to reflash it with the latest 2.1.1, didn't help. The loading screen says I have firmware 2.1.1, but it just wont get past the loading screen. I've tried both with and without the SD card, in case that might be a problem. No difference what so ever.

Any ideas? Would be soooo helpful if the GP2X could be told to show whatever it does while booting so I could figure out exactly where and why it hangs!

Maybe it's just some settings that have gotten messed up, but I have no clue how to reset them...

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!

I hope a new wave of bricking won't happen again, that would really suck. Try booting without an SD card inserted, perhaps the card is at fault here.

- Alex

If you're stuck on the green screen the only way back I found was to reflash back to 2.0.0 (which contains all the files needed.. 2.1.1 (and I think 2.1.0) is just a patch).

2.1.1 seemed to do this reliably to me... all it took was an app crashing (eg. mame 3.3 when you exit) and that would be the end of it.

If you're stuck on the green screen the only way back I found was to reflash back to 2.0.0 (which contains all the files needed.. 2.1.1 (and I think 2.1.0) is just a patch).

2.1.1 seemed to do this reliably to me... all it took was an app crashing (eg. mame 3.3 when you exit) and that would be the end of it.
Many thanks! Reflashed with 2.0.0 and now my GP2X is working again! Woho! As I never had this problem with 2.0.0, I think I'll stick with 2.0.0 for now.

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

My flashing from 2.0 -> 2.1.1 went bad, I get the black screen then stuck at this green screen and it doesn't do anything. Trying to reflash (by holding start+select while booting) doesn't work, it just boots goes to black then green screen, it never displays the update/flashing screen anymore?

Any ideas?

Got it working again, very strange, after the 1 st b0rked flash it won't upgrade anymore using the same SD card, I had to use an other one. Now running 2.1.1

Back