Mounting the PND failed message

Hello!

I recently had a Pandora come into my possession and I seem to be having some problems after upgrading to SuperZaxxon 1.61. Whenever I try to open any PND in MiniMenu or XFCE it tells me the above message and refers me to /tmp/pndrun_*program*.out

Checking this file out it says that:

Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/aseqview"
mount: unknown filesystem type 'squashfs'
WARNING : mount faild, re-tring
mount: unknown filesystem type 'squashfs'
ERROR The PND File-system is not mounted !
The kernel I'm using is 3.2 and return code is 6 if that's important.

I appreciate any help, thanks!

That is an odd issue..

Just curious where are the PNDs located (directory) on your SD card?

wondering if a full reflash may be needed, not just an network update?

Last time this happened to me, the kernel modules in /lib/modules//kernel weren't present for the kernel version I was running according to 'uname -r'.

In my case this happened because I'm running a kernel in a partition that isn't mounted as default (well, it is, but only into /media/boot). Doing an update had put a new kernel version in /boot in my OS partition, and replaced the kernel modules to match, but in practice, it never booted that kernel. To fix it I had to move the new kernel from /boot into /media/boot/boot.

That all depends on running an OS from an SD card, rather from the built-in NAND, since the in-built NAND doesn't have any partitions (or at least, none that I know how to access), and the updater works fine there. If you're booting the OS from NAND, then your root cause will be different, but I'll bet that uname -r and the /lib/modules version don't match, which is your problem.

Ah... Didn't even think if he was booting of an SD card...

Last time this happened to me, the kernel modules in /lib/modules//kernel weren't present for the kernel version I was running according to 'uname -r'.

In my case this happened because I'm running a kernel in a partition that isn't mounted as default (well, it is, but only into /media/boot). Doing an update had put a new kernel version in /boot in my OS partition, and replaced the kernel modules to match, but in practice, it never booted that kernel. To fix it I had to move the new kernel from /boot into /media/boot/boot.

That all depends on running an OS from an SD card, rather from the built-in NAND, since the in-built NAND doesn't have any partitions (or at least, none that I know how to access), and the updater works fine there. If you're booting the OS from NAND, then your root cause will be different, but I'll bet that uname -r and the /lib/modules version don't match, which is your problem.
Apologies, should've said that I'm booting from the NAND not from an SD card.

Do you know where I could find a working kernel for 1.61?

That is an odd issue..

Just curious where are the PNDs located (directory) on your SD card?

wondering if a full reflash may be needed, not just an network update?
I have them spread out over two SDs, the first is for games and second for applications.

The PND folder for the first would be /media/mmcblk0p1/Pandora/appdata

Also, I did a reflash for this version not a network update.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could open a terminal and try

uname -a
ls -l /boot/uImage*
file /boot/uImage*
ls -l /lib/modules/
mount | grep ubi
cat /boot/autoboot.txt
and post the results...
It's not to hard to give you a working kernel, it's just not very sure that'd solve your problem...

The P shouldn't be in caps if that isn't a typo.. and the appdata directory is where the data is stored, not where the PNDs should reside.. the pnds should reside in the following directories:

pandora/menu (shows on menu only),

pandora/desktop (shows on desktop only),

pandora/apps (shows in both).

If that doesn't help a Full reflash of the NAND is pretty harmless, only takes a few minutes and would get you the needed kernel stuff. You just need a FAT32 formatted SD card to unzip the files to..

Use the "To SD" option even though I think this should say "From SD" in the wiki: http://pandorawiki.org/Firmware#To_SD_card_.28external.29

Last edited by a moderator:
The P shouldn't be in caps if that isn't a typo.. and the appdata directory is where the data is stored, not where the PNDs should reside.. the pnds should reside in the following directories:

pandora/menu (shows on menu only),

pandora/desktop (shows on desktop only),

pandora/apps (shows in both).

If that doesn't help a Full reflash of the NAND is pretty harmless, only takes a few minutes and would get you the needed kernel stuff. You just need a FAT32 formatted SD card to unzip the files to..

Use the "To SD" option even though I think this should say "From SD" in the wiki: http://pandorawiki.org/Firmware#To_SD_card_.28external.29
This worked. It just needed to be reflashed with the files in that .zip Thanks a ton!

Ah well, shame we never got to find out what the problem was (as per Bukkit's post), but glad you got it fixed in the end!
I just had the same unknown filesystem type 'squashfs' problem after updating from 1.60 to 1.61. Also booting from an SD card, with a small boot partition that has autoboot.txt and the kernel, and a larger one with the filesystem. During boot there was a message that said the kernel has been updated and the uImage-3 file on the boot partition needs to be replaced with the newer one from /boot. One of the problem's symptoms was the touchscreen calibration PND did not run during the initial system setup.

Doing this from the terminal and rebooting fixed it:

Code:
ls /media/PNDBOOT/uImage-3
3119648 Dec 17 2013

ls /media/PNDFS/boot/uImage-3
3127736 Apr 20 11:39

cp /media/PNDFS/boot/uImage-3 /media/PNDBOOT/uImage-3

Back