Mode_7

Think along the lines of how the tracks were drawn in Mariokart and Fzero on the Snes - a 2d image tilted so that its displayed as a flat plain drawn in perspective. There is a tutorial program on fenixonfire.

It's mock 3d, and it can be fairly hard to use, it's a big step up from 2d games because of how arkward fenix is with Mode7.

Mode7 doesn't get nearly as much attention as it should. I was able to find little to now info on Mode7 in general on the net, and no homebrew games for any platform making use of it (except for Nazca's).

- Alex

I'm sure at some point I'll give it a try, used to play around with it a lot in DIV but I have a feeling it's a bit different in fenix. The main thing that could be a problem is the speed that it runs at as it looks like it's fairly slow. Maybe I'll play around with it to get a feel for what can be expected from it.

Alex. posted on Dec 8 2006 at 07:15 PM said:
Mode7 doesn't get nearly as much attention as it should. I was able to find little to now info on Mode7 in general on the net, and no homebrew games for any platform making use of it (except for Nazca's).

- Alex

I've been messing around with Mode7 for a while, and I almost have a finished game. The problem is that lack of info, and the fact that it's hard to use. You have to think of a lot of workarounds.

As for speed, it is a problem a lot, but it depends what you are making. Simple fighters or arcade games wouldn't get it too badly, but an intensive racing game with 60 odd trees and other stuff going on will slow things down to about 15fps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back