Messing Round With Chipmunk Physics Ended Up With 1/2 A Game

chris_c

Ok while evaluating(AKA messing round with) Chipmunk physics I kept adding stuff
I have a simple png to poly proxy (in the ship)
But I need to work either texturing for segments (the long rounded rectangles) or some other way of making a background with a
physics proxy.
There are obvious other technical issues - like turning the tractor beam into some kind of lightning type visual,
but more importantly there's a tonne of game play ideas to be added...

anyhow here's the video what should I add....

Cool. Looks like "Bob Came In Pieces", a game that's wonderfully enjoyable.

How about a kind-of Defender clone but instead of being the ship trying to stop the aliens sucking the humans off the planet, you're the aliens doing just that! :)

Kordman916 said:
What are you using to program this?
a text editor

edit:

ok, ok, so you want some more detail, I am using C to access 3 libraries

Xlib takes care of opening the window and also handling events like key presses

OpenGL ES handles the graphics (I'm using 2D projection instead of 3D) the ship (which is a little hard to make out) is a quad (square) texture with transparent bits and is rotated to match the irregular polygon that it represents, the balls are simple textured triangle fans and everything else is line loops, oh the glPrintf for printing multiple variables also uses textured quads

Finally to handle the "physics" or dynamic movement and reaction of the shapes I'm using Chipmunk physics a library specifically suited to fast 2d physics, it arbitrates the collision reactions the damped spring of the tractor beam and also the thrust of the ship

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks really nice chris_c, and having played a fair bit of Thrustar in my time, I have to say it looks like you're just a bunch of level-designs away from having a great product! :)

I'm interested in how you've used Chipmunk here - you say you're using GLES too .. so are you just putting textures up with GLES or are these real models? Not sure I understand that bit ..

Anyway, looks like a really nice little engine you've got there, and I hope you can find time to push this forward with some design and graphics and so on .. nice one!

torpor said:
looks like you're just a bunch of level-designs away from having a great product! :)
Level designs etc are the hardest bit - any old fool can slap some C code together to drive a few libraries, designing *good* game play and *good* levels thats a whole other problem...

torpor said:
I'm interested in how you've used Chipmunk here - you say you're using GLES too .. so are you just putting textures up with GLES or are these real models? Not sure I understand that bit ..
Its all 2d the ship is a "model" of 4 vertices, I position and rotate a quad at the ships position and orientation and texture it with a transparent png thats the same shape that the 4 verts describe

the spheres are a simple textured triangle fan, everything else is line loops

Last edited by a moderator:
Back