Mame twin sticks functionality?

Mamemeister

Still Fresh
Firstly, I'd just like to say what a fantastic machine this is. I'm an old fart at 45 and have been into video gaming since 1983. I've never lost my love of the original 8 bits gaming and indeed own a stupidly large collection of machines. The only thing lacking in my collection was portable retro gaming. Sure the Iphone or PSP is all fine and good but just not good enough. I had heard of the Pandora but never really took much notice. Having watched a video review of one recently I knew I had to get one.

Anwyay, enough of my waffling. Is there any way of confirguring the twin analogue sticks for Mame for some authentic Robotron, Smash TV action please?

I tried re-mapping the them in Mame but it doesn't seem to recognise them?

Any help would be wicked.

Thanks again for a cracking product and keep up the great work.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of those twin stick games had digital controls, you'd probably be better off assigning (in Robotron for example) the DPad on the left for movement, and each of the ABXY buttons on the right for each directional fire.

AFAIK you can assign the nubs as controls in those games, but you probably (IIRC) have to switch them in your Nub configuration to joystick mode.

The nubs would be recognised as analogue -mouse- controls in games that had analogue controls originally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep I also use my D-pad to move and the ABXY buttons for directional firing for Robotron and Smash TV on Mame.

Works very well for me this way.

Great games you chose  ;)

Ah, nice one, I'll give that a try, yes Robotron is probably the greatest game ever written. I'd have maybe said Defender but I simply can't last more than 10 seconds, stupid aging reactions!

Thanks for your help guys.

You can map both sticks in PanMAME without a problem. I play dual nub robotron all the time.

Smashtv is too slow unfortunately.

Ah, nice one. I did have PanMame installed but took it off as it was too slow. I might just put it back on just for Robotron. Do you still have to set the nubs as joystick?

I think I set them to joystick automatically, but not sure anymore.

You can just try.

Ah, nice one. I did have PanMame installed but took it off as it was too slow. I might just put it back on just for Robotron. Do you still have to set the nubs as joystick?
Try using mame4all for the classic arcade games, the performance is notably better than PanMame.

Back