Making A Ext -> Usb Cord...

nubie posted on Jul 27 2006 at 10:52 PM said:
jmetal88 posted on Jul 27 2006 at 07:45 PM said:
Usually, it's 650ma in full transmit, 500 something in full reciept, and around 400 when "listening".
If you check the specs on the chipset we actually have wifi drivers for you will see it is 150 listening and 450 on transmit :).

I realize I did it wrong when I used a 4 AAA NiMH battery holder from Radio Shack and wired it right into the circuit. But I used 1000mAh AAA batteries, I am unsure of their voltage under load, but I did do a file transfer of all the files from my brothers USB SD to my other brothers USB Creative Muvo stick. It worked just fine.

They were 5.28 volts under no load, assuming 1.24 volts per cell under load would give you 4.96 volts, I don't know as it would actually hurt anything at those voltages, and NiMH doesn't drop terribly under high load like Alkalines do.

See the wiki under my Samsung E810 Serial cable mod. (I have since built another e810 serial data cable into my USB adaptor, it is plenty easy to do.) Just figure out which connector is #1 and wire the three necessary wires up, Ground, USB+ and USB- I just did that and put the filtering circuit onto a bit of project board and wired the 5 volt battery pack to the USB socket.

Ok, whatever. I'm just rattling off the specs from the wifi adapter I have (which sucks, by the way, I think I'll get the Zydas one that's supposed to actually work with the GP2X. The lower power consumption seems like an added bonus).

Last edited by a moderator:
Would something like this work?...
example.GIF

I think you need 3 wires for USB minimum - ground, and the two data wires. I think you also need a couple resistors at least on the data lines; you'll have to check the diagram in the wiki.

BradN posted on Jul 27 2006 at 10:42 PM said:
I think you need 3 wires for USB minimum - ground, and the two data wires. I think you also need a couple resistors at least on the data lines; you'll have to check the diagram in the wiki.
Yes, use the wiki diagram to terminate the USB signal and use a ground wire.

That is almost exactly what I did.

Last edited by a moderator:
ooh. i see. at first I didn't really understand which one was for the usb host being the electronics n00b that I am. :D even after reading those though, since i'm not great with electronics, I still dont really understand the diagram. i'll probably have to end up buying one. :p

Back