Lush, an open source LISP implementation for games, etc

Meigus

Still Fresh
Has anyone tried running a lisp/lush system on the Pandora? I think you can use commonlisp, and maybe lush in ubuntu, but what about a minimalist approach?

Here's a link to lush: http://lush.sourceforge.net/

Here's a few reasons I really want to learn it:
Object oriented
Interfaces with C code and libraries, in line!
Has full access to math and AI functions (lisp was designed for information processing)
Can be added onto while the engine is running (sort of like macros, except have been implemented since the first lisp engine)
^- that feature makes for a dynamic engine that can be modified on-the-fly
Already has interfaces to openGL and SDL, shouldn't be that hard to interface with what the pandora uses
sound and video grabbing, could be used for cameras, pattern recognition like barcodes and faces or something.
can bind to python c, I don't know what it fully means, but I know lots of people use python

The only drawback is it may not have been significantly altered since 2007, but for me it looks very simple and intuitive (it uses lots of verbs and simple nouns in an easy to learn syntax)

I'm checking out the SF page and it looks pretty good. Since it compiles to C it should be fairly easily portable. I'm looking at the first "language" of the "three" it lists, and I'd throw it out entirely because dynamic scoping is pretty lousy. Also not very interesting due to being interpreted. But that leaves the concern that the second "language" isn't garbage collected, which may very well be the case since it's compiled to C.

Where do you see that this is object oriented? If you're interested in an OO LISP language I suggest you check out OCaml - it's derived from ML instead of LISP, but ML is pretty cool too (but statically typed).

Always concerning functionnal languages, has anyone had run any Haskell stuff on the Pandora (or on something with a similar hardware, such as the BeagleBoard)?

Lush seems very interesting, too. I love functionnal programming, and I'm glad to see that everyone is not into the big C++/Java thingy.

limestrael said:
Always concerning functionnal languages, has anyone had run any Haskell stuff on the Pandora (or on something with a similar hardware, such as the BeagleBoard)?

Lush seems very interesting, too. I love functionnal programming, and I'm glad to see that everyone is not into the big C++/Java thingy.
Hey, there's functional programming available for the JVM platform too! Don't pretend anything else.

Just take a look at Scala, for instance.

(And to counter the arguments that you probably are formulating by now:)
Scala is not a "pure" functional language, but as you all know, it's impossible to make computer programs with "pure" functional languages (and there are no pure functional languages in existence) so don't come with that argument. Also, functional languages don't have to have immutable-only data structures, that's not relevant for the definition.

I've been messing with lush, and good news! They've been working on lush for quite some time, and version 2.0 might be out this year or next or something.

The downloadable version in repository or something is version 1.2.1, very old (like 2007). You can get the dev version 2.0, and if someone could set up opengl es bindings (as simple as making functions that load Opengl ES codes), we could be ready to program. (it already has 2d (ogre and SDL) and 3d opengl stuff ready to go!)

Not to mention if you found a library from C that loaded OpenGL ES, you could load it and lush could use it without any modification.

Back