Long Filenames, Firmware,... You Name It

LazerTron

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
hi all,
i read in an other thread that with gp-drive the transfer of long filenames (like the Good2600 collection for the Atari 2600) would be no problem. i downloaded it but read something about new firmware,...

as i got my GP32 gp32_console yesterday i`m a real newbie. i transfered a few emus to the handheld yesterday and played around a bit. i used this gp32 link program that came with the GP32.

On to my questions:
- what kind of link program should i use and how is the implementation done?
- should i update the firmware (i got the GP32 from GBAx so it should have this european firmware i presume)?
- my connection between the GP32 and the PC seems a bit unstable - i need some tries to get them to link at all - any tipps?

Step by Step explainations for updating the firmware and installation of GP-Drive would be very kind (old fart typing here ;) )
thanks

Quick answers.
1) Try to buy a SMC writer/reader. If not, use PcLink 1.3 Hacked Deluxe (for long filenames)
2) IMO European firmware is the best.
3) Buy a SMC reader/writer!!! :D General Tip:Don't move your GP32 when tranfering!

Byes

thanks for the quick reply :rolleyes:

i downloaded "PC Link 1.3.1 (Eng) Deluxe" - is this the right one? (i cannot try it out because i`m at work now ;) )

i'd say use the hacked pc-link for now, it automatically truncates long filenames without any risk of damaging your GP32 and will keep you going for now...

there are quite a few different firmwares around, so han about a while and read the boards before you decide which one (and when you *do* decide... NEW BATTERIES! :eek: :p )

(btw... nice 'noob alert/old fart' dichotomy... it means we shouldn't treat you like a TOTAL gump! :p)

erm... honestly... if you get the hacked PClink(free) or a cardreader(fairly cheap) you don't *need* to flash your firmware... have a play around with stuff, stick around the boards, and you'll soon find out what's what...

:)

oh, and GPdrive is just an .FXE that you put in your normal GPMM folder, I think...

never used it myself (yet)

oh, and GPdrive is just an .FXE that you put in your normal GPMM folder, I think... 

never used it myself (yet)

that is right!

I use GPdrive most of the time when I want to transfer something to my smc card.
I have a card write/reader but since I only have one card I find it easier to use GPdrive as I don´t have to take the card out of my GP32.

if you don´t have a cardreader I think the easiest way is to use a pc-link to get GPdrive on the smc,

then start GPdrive and use it instead as it is mouch more reliable when transfering files (and faster I think)

TIP: to make it work, you should start GPdrive and then after starting the program connect the usb cable or else it wont recognice the gp32 as a storage device...

after that it´s just to use windows explorer to transfer files from your hard drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just flashed my GP to GPBios a few days ago and it is exelent!
now I can try out new firmwares without having to risk the life of my
gp32_console every time
plus I can auto launch to wind-ups and have the euro bios set to
the start utton when I turn on my GP

i installed gp drive and it works like a charm. tested a few Atari 2600, C64 and Atari 8 bit games and playing Fort Apocalypse on the GP32 rocks :D

i installed gp drive and it works like a charm. tested a few Atari 2600, C64 and Atari 8 bit games and playing Fort Apocalypse on the GP32 rocks  :D

I don't recommend flashing unless you REALLY can't stand the original FW. You can render your GP32 USELESS if you get an error. There are even rare cases that I have heard where even sucessful flashes went bad after awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
About cardreaders... I got a cardreader but still use phodrive (based on gpdrive afaik) because transfer using the cardreader is hellishly slow :(
It's a usb2.0 cardreader and it's fast with other cards, actually, it's faster also if I format the SMC in the cardreader but then my GP wont recognize it anymore, so I guess it's just an incompatibility between the GP and my cardreader :huh: Phodrive is a lot faster anyway, even though the GP only uses usb 1.1
Just something to keep in mind when you look for a cardreader... In case anyone wants to know, mine is a brandless 7 in 1 reader from mediamarkt (dutch mediamarkt).

Back