Limiting Bandwidth Usage

Website
Visit site
I am in a communal house and wanna make sure people don't selfishly use all of our network bandwidth on shit like Kazaa and was thinking maybe of just dealing out the bandwidth fairly if possible. Whats the best way to do this?

PS- I don't really want to have to install stuff on their computers as that involves explanation. Thanks.

If you don't want to install anything on other people's computers, then the only real possibility facing you is talking to them and asking them nicely :p

Unless you're the sysadmin for the network, then it's just a matter of limiting the bandwidth yourself.

ok. So it's not possible.

I just wanted to make sure that when people were doing bandwidth intensive things the internet doesnt grind to a halt.

Think I'll tell them to avoid kazaa as its crap anyway.

declaration posted on Sep 11 2005 at 12:17 PM said:
I am in a communal house and wanna make sure people don't selfishly use all of our network bandwidth on shit like Kazaa and was thinking maybe of just dealing out the bandwidth fairly if possible. Whats the best way to do this?

PS- I don't really want to have to install stuff on their computers as that involves explanation. Thanks.
You can do that with some routers.

Last edited by a moderator:
reaper79 posted on Sep 13 2005 at 02:12 AM said:
Yeah, I would think that if the interenet was shared through a switch/router or a hub that it would divide up/balance the load of several PCs.
well every PC in the house is connected via a Linksys wireless router.

Trouble is, I don't think this router has that particular feature as I cant find an option in the settings anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah you better work something out. I know in my apartment I'll want to play CS: Source and my roomie will be running 14 torrents... needless to say I get owned due to lag.

Back