Left nub sticking / catching when moved

omf

Still Fresh
I recently received my pandora which is an upgraded 1ghz model, thought it was about time to get one as i have been waiting about 3 years. maybe a bit more.

After giving it a good go, the left thumb nub seems to stick in various places, its almost like the base of the nub is dented and when your moving the thumb piece around it falls into the dented area and you cant get it out again, usually resulting in death on whatever game you are playing at the time.

Where do i stand with repairs?

Can you get spare nubs? I am compatant at soldering and i beleive that i could replace it myself, I havent seen any nubs for sale however!

If so how much are they and where do i get them from?

I dont particularly want to send the pandora off again after waiting for 3 years to get it.

Did you try the nub calibration? Also wiggling them about after boot up helps them calibrate. It sometimes takes a few seconds.Otherwise maybe a bit of grit or something.

Well I checked eds shop. Replacement nubs are not sold it seems. Ed can repair it for you at dragonbox.de or link in the us at ithic.com

Hmm... it's weird, it always seems to be the left nub that causes some issues.

If wiggling around and pushing down the case around it won't help, I can easily send you one if you want to replace it yourself.

I would assume it's just because the left nub gets used more. The right nub is only for mouse clicks by default, quick up/down/left/right movements while with the left nub you get long, flowing movements.

I would assume it's just because the left nub gets used more. The right nub is only for mouse clicks by default, quick up/down/left/right movements while with the left nub you get long, flowing movements.

That would make sense after a while of usage, but not on a NEW unit.

They're the very same nubs, but reading the forums, if a nub acts up weird from the very beginning, it always seems to be the left one. That doesn't make sense at all.

Maybe it's because left Nub moves stuff like the mouse or the character in a game.

The right one only does mouse click. It's barely noticeable if it's bad.

They're the very same nubs, but reading the forums, if a nub acts up weird from the very beginning, it always seems to be the left one. That doesn't make sense at all.

I have exactly the same issue that omf has very well explained, but in the RIGHT nub, It was working well at the start, except for the fact that sometimes when rotating it there was a point that seemed to have something inside that was stopping the rotation... after some month of this casual issue, the nub became very hard to move and now It remains stuck almost everywhere.

If wiggling around and pushing down the case around it won't help, I can easily send you one if you want to replace it yourself.
That would be great, how shall i contact you with my address for this?

I have exactly the same issue that omf has very well explained, but in the RIGHT nub, It was working well at the start, except for the fact that sometimes when rotating it there was a point that seemed to have something inside that was stopping the rotation... after some month of this casual issue, the nub became very hard to move and now It remains stuck almost everywhere.
After i have received and installed the new nub i will sacrifice the bad nub and see if the innards provide the answer to this problem or at least what has happened.

Last edited by a moderator:

Is it really so simple to replace those ? Doesn't you need exceptional soldering skills ? (and a Soldering Iron ?)

EDIT: Correction :)

Is it really so simple to replace those ? Doesn't you need exceptional welding skills ? (and a welder ?)
No welder needed, a soldering iron.. I heard a chisel bit makes it easier.

unless Welder is what they call Soldering Irons in other countries.

Is it really so simple to replace those ? Doesn't you need exceptional soldering skills ? (and a Soldering Iron ?)

EDIT: Correction :)

looks easy enough to me, desolder pump the balls of solder away, should be fine

I think the left one sees heavier use. The right nub on my unit mainly pulls mousebutton duty, and the left takes a regular pounding from Gran Turismo etc.

That would be my take on the phenomenon at any rate. The left nub does see more frequent use in my... er... usage.

Back