GP32 Learning To Program

GA01

Website
Visit site
Hi

I've just recently purchased "Learn C++ in 21 days" and I'm on day 3 so far :D. As a complete noob to programming it just seems so alien and I'm wondering whether I'm ever going to understand this language at all. Ok, I'm only on day 3 but will there come a time when it all just clicks it to place. Interested to hear from others who were in a similar position but have now mastered the langauge. I'm using Dev-C++ and even compiling some of the easy examples (from the book) are throwing up errors. Once I get a general understanding of C++, how easy is it to convert onto the GP32? Is it a case of just using the right compiler. As you can see, I'm a complete noob and because of this I apologise if any of these questions are insulting.

:)

I dont know anything about using C++ with the GP32, but i can give you advice if you want to get comfortable programming with it, even if it be on a PC.

Probably best to learn on the PC first and then once I become familiar with the language then look at doing things with the GP32. The examples that I am doing at the moment involve printing text in a DOS screen (like Hello World example) and basic keyboard input. Could this same code be applied within a Windows environment (with additional code) or is it completly different? Am I best to learn within a DOS box or look at writing code in the Windows environment?Those who can code in C++ can you look at other's source code and know exactly what is happening or do you rely on comments to get an idea?

If the code is nicely written (so it is not only a heap of characters :)) you should be able to read what it does, usually. Commented source is always better, of course.

You can use the code in Windows, just start a new project and schoose "console application" so that it will run the DOS console. If you want to code for windows (using dialogs, buttons, listboxes etc.) its completely different then, even the main() is different then. But you dont need that to learn to code for the GP32.

I have not used C++ with the GP32 yet as pure C has been good enough for me so far (for my GPBook, GPSweeper, GP Tic Tac Toe, XMas Demo...) and I think you should start with normal C. Get the devkitadv kit made by Rico (I think it was prepared by him), which is easy to setup. Then use GeePee32 to test your compiled app.

yes, eventually it will all just 'clicl' together. At least that's what happened to me when I was learning java. I couldn't understand it and then all of a sudden it just made sense ;)

Thanks for the comments guys :). Can I do the same with C++ as I can with C? As I've already got a book on C++, I would prefer to use this instead of buying another book on C. Thanks for the link Blah :), I've already downloaded these to my HD. I guess my ultimate goal is to eventually develop an emulator of some kind (arcade based) but at the moment (in the real world) I guess I've got alot of reading to do first.

Back