Is There A Way To Do A Screen Capture?

berighteous

hi!
I'm working with another gp2x developer, and I need to get screen caps from the gp2x. Is there anything that does that?

Thanx

yes. fgrab. Search in the file archive; the readme is in German, but it's pretty easy to figure out :)

had to try it a few times to actually get a png file that anything could read. The first 2 were garbage. This one, it "rolled" the screen a few pixels, so the stuff that should have been at the top of the screen and at the bottom and the rest is shifted up. Weird.
gp2xgrab1.png

Just edit it on the PC:

oidzopnesa5.png

By the way, I tried your animation demo from the GM tread and it looks great. The colourful spacey background is especially nice, everything is very detailed :)

Oh, try to see if you can find a background re-drawing function, so that you get rid of the occasional black lines left behind by moving asteroids.

Here is the program someone coded for me last year for the coding compo. It saves to BMP format if I remember right, run the GPE then your game afterwards, then when you want a screenshot hold R shoulder button + B button. It will save the images in numerical order but will overwrite any previous files if you restart the program so be warned. http://www.emuboards.com/gp2x-screengrab.zip, hopefully it still works as I will probably need it tomorrow.

If you have a TV card on your PC, you could just use the GP2x TV adaptor and do a prntscrn...

thanx. the fgrab thig is kinda buggy. Half of the screen shots are garbage. I'll try the other one Guy suggested.

BTW I just put up a new very cool animation demo (that you can actually exit without shutting off the GP2X!) It's way better.

As for the sprite artifacts...it's a bug in GameEditor's exporter. I exported it to pC and it works fine. I'm feeding lots of bug reports to the author. He should get it stomped for me next week sometime I hope. As long as he gets it done before I finish the game! lol

berighteous said:
thanx. the fgrab thig is kinda buggy. Half of the screen shots are garbage.
It's probably not really all that buggy. I think the register that determines where the frame buffer starts on the MMSP2 is write only. So I assume fgrab is guessing where the screen will probably be. As most apps use one of the SDL libs available, updating fgrab when these change would probably increase the grabbing success rate, but a bit of fuss on the users part to route out the screen is likely - nothing us old Amiga graphics rippers aren't used to!

Using TV out is probably the way to go though for screenshots. Or if you have access to the source add support to output the frame buffer at some point to the SD card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back