Ipod Compatibility

jibegod

Still Fresh
Does anyone know if it would be possible to use the iPod as an external harddrive for the gp2x? With the right drivers, of course.

Ideally, we would be able to plug in via the USB port and transfer files between the SD flash card in the gp2x and the iPod's harddrive, or even play files directly off of the iPod itself.

Note: I'm not talking about creating any sort of iTunes clone to read the iPod's music database--i'm only interested in reading the iPod strictly as an external harddrive (for increased video storage, etc.)

Thoughts?

as long as it acts like a normal mass storage it should work, as long as it dosnt need power and we have usb host mode.

I'm not too sure if the iPod is read as a mass storage device.. it falls under the 'removable media' category in Windows, so I assume so. In any case, I believe all iPod harddrives are formatted as FAT32.

If you're still around, Vimacs, i've got a second question.. would this also apply to devices like digital cams that use flash memory cards? Hooking the cam up with a USB cable and being able to transfer images over to the gp2x's storage (again, with the proper drivers).

next to evrything that shows up as a drive in windows should be a mass storage and should also work in linux, but there are some devices with bugged masstorage drivers that dont.

The iPod is initially detected as a USB Mass Storage device by the the Free Unix OSes when plugged into a USB port. I'm not 100% sure about Linux, but I know on FreeBSD it uses the umass (USB mass storage) and da (scsi hd) drivers. So it should be possible to at least mount it as an HD provided the drivers are present on the GP2X Linux distro.

Back