I Seem To Be Stuck With Cramfs

Izomiac

Still Fresh
Well, I just tried upgrading to 2.0 from cramfs and it didn't work. I turn it on (holding start + select or not), it shows the Firmware Upgrading screen for a few seconds (10 or 15), then the Green screen (2.0) and doesn't ever do anything else (I left it on for several minutes). So I tried downgrading to 1.4. The exact same thing happened except the loading screen said 1.4. (Note, the kernel upgrade files weren't getting deleted after the upgrades, so I'd have a "Firmware Upgrading" screen everytime, and I didn't dare interrupt that.) I even tried Open2X and it changed my loading screen to the penguin, but still froze there. So I tried cramfs again, and it worked (deleted the image files and everything). I then ran the flash_cramfs script, and tried downgrading to 1.4, but it didn't work after that either (same problem). So, does anyone know what's causing this, and how I can upgrade to 2.0?

So I'm assuming you got the black 2.0 screen, the sound jingle and then the green 2.0 screen? Which says that uboot and the kernel has been updated, but it can't get the file system on there.

If all of the files are on the sd card, then it smells suspicously like faulty nand... cramfs uses a different part of the nand than the official 1.4 or below firmware (2.0 uses all of the nand), so they may explain why that one works.

Have you tried DJWillis's unbricking guide to see if 1.0 will install? You'll need a serial cable to do it really, so you can see whats going on - it'll be able to tell you about nand write errors then too.

Well, the exact sequence is:

The multicolored "low battery" lines for a second or less.
The black GP2X screen I've always gotten.
(If I have a kernel image it updates it here for about 10 - 15 seconds.)
The green loading screen reflecting the kernel I last installed.

I haven't heard the sound play. Oddly enough, I never had trouble with firmware installs before, so I'm hoping that part of the NAND didn't go bad despite my not-using it. I haven't tried the unbricking guide since I can use cramfs, and because I don't have a serial cable. Could I perhaps use the alternate fireware updater for 1.4 and would it tell me about any write errors if I could get it to run (cramfs making the NAND read-only and all)?

Back