I Love My Gp To Bits!!!

ste_167

Website
Visit site
and I can't see a competitor in the near future - can you?

The GP32 was a one off! A handheld that sold purely on emulators and other homebrew progs. It's still the King!!! In a commerical world, it has been a breath of fresh air.

A retro-gaming God!!

So what can beat it? The PSP is locked in terms of easy homebrew and the Nintendo double-screener for all its retro look will not offer that same emu platform.

I wanna play 70's-90's games on a handheld and it's perfect for that.

...gp64.... maybe [can beat it].......

but I'm not interested in 3d PS emulation.. I want 2d classics and I thank all the coders out there who have made the GP32 into what it is.

[Mod - USE THE EDIT FEATURE] :unsure: I'm in trouble again.....

The Zodiac maybe. Yoyo has single handedly made it worthwhile. His emus for that are upgrades of the GP32 versions and are works of art. Kind of makes me wonder how much better the GP32 versions would have been by now if he didn't get that damn Zodiac :( If he never finds the time or want to upgrade the GP32 versions then that may be the only way to get his latest. Too bad the analog kind of sucks for emus though, and that ever draining built in battery ugh.

Other than that the GP32 is it for awile I think.

the zodiac's rubbish for that old skool feel! The GP32 is unbeatable for the 'feel' of it. If I want 100% speed, I'd get a palm but there is more to it than that.

he Zodiac maybe. Yoyo has single handedly made it worthwhile. His emus for that are upgrades of the GP32 versions and are works of art. Kind of makes me wonder how much better the GP32 versions would have been by now if he didn't get that damn Zodiac If he never finds the time or want to upgrade the GP32 versions then that may be the only way to get his latest. Too bad the analog kind of sucks for emus though, and that ever draining built in battery ugh.

Considering the Zodiac's hardware is far better then the GP32 when it comes to SNES emulation, yoyo's GP32 emulators are at least at par, if not better, then their Z versions.

The PSP is locked in terms of easy homebrew

hehe I dont think it will be long after release before ether a hack or a chip comes out to let you load homebrew apps and copys from the memory card :p (last I read psp is going to have a custom optical drive and sony memory card slot)

generalnmx posted on Sep 3 2004 at 12:40 AM said:
he Zodiac maybe. Yoyo has single handedly made it worthwhile. His emus for that are upgrades of the GP32 versions and are works of art. Kind of makes me wonder how much better the GP32 versions would have been by now if he didn't get that damn Zodiac  If he never finds the time or want to upgrade the GP32 versions then that may be the only way to get his latest. Too bad the analog kind of sucks for emus though, and that ever draining built in battery ugh.

Considering the Zodiac's hardware is far better then the GP32 when it comes to SNES emulation, yoyo's GP32 emulators are at least at par, if not better, then their Z versions.

Far better? I think it is a bit better for emus. They run at 200 Mhz which is faster but not THAT much faster, plus you have an OS running in there as well. The 2D chip is used for stretching and smoothing but the GP32 doesn't really need it because the resolution is closer to native.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Sep 3 2004 at 03:38 AM said:
generalnmx posted on Sep 3 2004 at 12:40 AM said:
he Zodiac maybe. Yoyo has single handedly made it worthwhile. His emus for that are upgrades of the GP32 versions and are works of art. Kind of makes me wonder how much better the GP32 versions would have been by now if he didn't get that damn Zodiac  If he never finds the time or want to upgrade the GP32 versions then that may be the only way to get his latest. Too bad the analog kind of sucks for emus though, and that ever draining built in battery ugh.

Far better? I think it is a bit better for emus. They run at 200 Mhz which is faster but not THAT much faster, plus you have an OS running in there as well. The 2D chip is used for stretching and smoothing but the GP32 doesn't really need it because the resolution is closer to native.
Your words are totally sensible, guy. ;)

some guys *probably* will find a way to save stuff on the memory card and then run everything on the PSP, but:
1. it will take a while till someone finds that out
2. theres not much space, whats the maximum limit? 32MB? 64? not much space for n64 or playstation emulation, is it?

on the DS i think Nintendo will finally try to kill all flashcart-producers from the beginning, maybe there wont be a homebrew scene at all... (theories)

yes gp32 is best scene-handheld :p

i dont think sony will allow something like the gba flash card to be made. if anyone can emulate ps games then their psp games wont sell as much.

erm.. as said for psp there dont have to be flashcarts to be made - theres the memory stick which they *have* to sell. we only need some guys to find out how to launch stuff from it, connect this to PC etc.

The Zodiac has an analog stick - crap for old games, making the GP32 superior in terms of emulation control. Weigh up the advantages/disadvantages.

I havent actully looked properly at the specs of the PSP, so does anyone know if this will be a 'proper' MagicGate memory stick or another propriorty card like the PS2, I never understood why the PS2 doesnt support proper sony sticks.

2. theres not much space, whats the maximum limit? 32MB? 64? not much space for n64 or playstation emulation, is it?
1. I dont think it will be too long before its cracked maybe a month or 2 Sony has a big cracker following :D

2. I have seen sony Memory Stick PRO sized 512 MB on ebay and a quick google search says there are (or will be?) 2 gb ones

mallrat37 posted on Sep 3 2004 at 09:34 AM said:
I havent actully looked properly at the specs of the PSP, so does anyone know if this will be a 'proper' MagicGate memory stick or another propriorty card like the PS2, I never understood why the PS2 doesnt support proper sony sticks.

well the spec is avalible online it says Memory stick so I would only assume it would be sony memory stick

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/25/psp_chips_revealed/

I think the PS2 has been around a little longer than sony memory stick thats mybeway ?

Wolfsclaw posted on Sep 3 2004 at 06:50 AM said:
some guys *probably* will find a way to save stuff on the memory card and then run everything on the PSP, but:

on the DS i think Nintendo will finally try to kill all flashcart-producers from the beginning, maybe there wont be a homebrew scene at all... (theories)

yes gp32 is best scene-handheld :p

PSP: Always this comes up. Yes, there could be a way to get code into the system through the memory stick. BUT and this I say repeatedly, always to fall on deaf "ears" for some reason CODE MUST BE SIGNED AND ENCRYPTED to run. getting it in is not the problem RUNNING it is. You will have to hardware mod it with a mod chip and that may not be possible or practical. Don't count on PSP emulation.

Exo posted on Sep 4 2004 at 12:50 AM said:
1. I dont think it will be too long before its cracked maybe a month or 2 Sony has a big cracker following :D

2. I have seen sony Memory Stick PRO sized 512 MB on ebay and a quick google search says there are (or will be?) 2 gb ones

mallrat37 posted on Sep 3 2004 at 09:34 AM said:

well the spec is avalible online it says Memory stick so I would only assume it would be sony memory stick

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/25/psp_chips_revealed/

I think the PS2 has been around a little longer than sony memory stick thats mybeway ?

I'm pretty sure they were out at the same time because I remember them stating it will use magic gate technology like their memory cards.

Back