Howto: Graceful Exit Gpfce

dejunai

Still Fresh
As many of know, GPFCE does not exit to the menu.
Rather it hangs on the Menu Loading Screen.

The following code will fix this...
CODE
#run app, redirect stdout/err
./fceu_norot.gpe >stdout.txt 2>stderr.txt

sync
# return to the menu screen
cd /usr/gp2x
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

Save as... "fceu_norot.gpu".
Now run the GPU and not the GPE.
Much Better, eh?
Also, Be sure to change the INI shortcut if you use it.
-DEJ

Credit (where credit is due):
I stole the idea from smyp's port of the REminiscence engine for Flashback.
He uses a GPU to launch his GPE...

Last edited by a moderator:
Because person who ported FCE only did so at the request of another person as a quick hack to determine the cause of a messed up screen and never intended for people to actually use it, assuming that the original requester of help would carry on with the port...

I hate to see it needing such hacks. Damn, why people porting my stuff can't do their work properly?
Notaz, if you want to blame somebody then blame me. I uploaded the file to the archive knowing the fact it was only for test purposes.
I'm really sorry for the trouble I caused. :( I will ask EvilDragon to delete the file if you want so...

Regards,
Stephan

Try this:

CODE
#!/bin/sh

./fceu_rot.gpe
cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

It's important to use an Unix compatible editor (e.g. Notepad++).
Thanks to Dejunai for the tip!

Regards,
Stephan

Try this:

CODE
#!/bin/sh

./fceu_rot.gpe
cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu
It's important to use an Unix compatible editor (e.g. Notepad++).
Thanks to Dejunai for the tip!

Regards,
Stephan

This might be the reason it doesn't work because I did it on windows with notepad. I'll try again tonight when I get home from work.

Regards

André

Notaz, if you want to blame somebody then blame me. I uploaded the file to the archive knowing the fact it was only for test purposes.
I'm really sorry for the trouble I caused. :( I will ask EvilDragon to delete the file if you want so...
There is not much point doing that now. Hopefully someone (or maybe myself) will find some time and fix it some day.

Because person who ported FCE only did so at the request of another person as a quick hack to determine the cause of a messed up screen and never intended for people to actually use it, assuming that the original requester of help would carry on with the port...
I guess the blame ball has been passed to me now.

I dont see this as an issue. personally I dont think the apps should be calling the menu, it allows the user to write a script thats be suggested or let a gui app like gmenu add its wrapper feature to it.

I dont see this as an issue. personally I dont think the apps should be calling the menu, it allows the user to write a script thats be suggested or let a gui app like gmenu add its wrapper feature to it.
Yes, but I really doubt everyone writes their own scripts or use custom menus with wrapper feature at the moment.

I guess the blame ball has been passed to me now.

Anywhere other than me at this point given how determined notaz seems to have been lately to pin something on me ;).

I do agree about calling the menu, it was a bit of a pain for Open2x for a while.

Try this:

CODE
#!/bin/sh

./fceu_rot.gpe
cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu
It's important to use an Unix compatible editor (e.g. Notepad++"].
Thanks to Dejunai for the tip![/quote]Regards,
Stephan

This might be the reason it doesn't work because I did it on windows with notepad. I'll try again tonight when I get home from work.

Regards

André

Got it working now :). I did on my machine at home running Arch Linux and gedit. Now Gpfc exits nicely :D. THANKS!!!

Regards

André

I uploaded the script if someone still got problems:

Link 1.

And here the complete changed archive (with icon and shortcuts etc.)

Link 2.

I uploaded it to the file archive too. Just wait for ED's clearance...

Regards,
Stephan

I hate to see it needing such hacks. Damn, why people porting my stuff can't do their work properly?
I don't class this as a hack, it's how I always run my GP2X programs. The menu shouldn't be called from inside the program as it means if the program crashes you don't return to the menu.

The script also makes debug easier as stdout/err can be monitored or ignored as required.

I don't class this as a hack, it's how I always run my GP2X programs. The menu shouldn't be called from inside the program as it means if the program crashes you don't return to the menu.
The script also makes debug easier as stdout/err can be monitored or ignored as required.

True, it just needed to be included in the archive and it would have been fine.

Link 1.[/URL]

And here the complete changed archive (with icon and shortcuts etc."]

Link 2.

I uploaded it to the file archive too. Just wait for ED's clearance...

Regards,
Stephan
thanks a bunch :) nice being able to get out of the NES emulator without it hanging now. Kudos

Back