Homebrew Project Curiosity

art1080

Still Fresh
I'd like to experiement with game graphics and level design. Rather than talk the talk I'd rather get something to look at before seeking out a programmer. I'm interested in a 2D shooter style game with a unique visual style.

I'm most comfortable animating with flash, and I'm thinking about using it for demo/mock-up. I'm wondering if I can make something in flash that can easily translate to something like Fenix (or other?). If I could know a little something in advance maybe I can create with an end product in mind to save a lot of time.

I like to work with bitmap mixed with flash/illustrator type vector. Can this type of vector directly translate? If so, with gradients or transparency? If not I could consider rasterizing to keep the same graphic appearance. I like to add clean edges to bitmaps, and think vector would work well for glowing effects, weapons etc.

Knowing how to exchange alpha channels, or what to use for a masking technique would be important to know.

Animation.. If I were to use flash to set up and demo animation, can the timeline within a timeline translate? Is there a different interface I should learn?

I'm totally new at this so bare with me, any help would be greatly apreciated! Thanks

If I were the programmer I would want the graphics as a bitmap, with any animated sequences arranged consecutively, either horizontally or vertically, using a fixed spacing. The programmer will be able to control the timing as needed.

From what I have read on this board, 2D shooters are beyong the capability of the GP2X. :lol:

Flash isn't too useful to a C++ programmer. IF you want to design a game in Flash, you could use the GP2X flashplayer that was released fairly recently. It's still rather slow though.

If you plan on using fenix the graphics would have to raster. Also not sure if it suppots alpha maps - fairly sure it doesn't - so if you want the use of it c++ would be the way to go. Having said that I have used flash animations that I've then converted to raster for sprites and the results have been excellent.

well what i was thinking was using flash only to convey and test the design and animation, then the same bitmap graphics could be used for C++ (flash isn't only vector)

Is PNG the best bitmap format? I just wanna make sure the graphics are usable in the end. Also what about GIF?

thx

ruckage posted on Dec 5 2006 at 03:45 PM said:
If you plan on using fenix the graphics would have to raster. Also not sure if it suppots alpha maps - fairly sure it doesn't - so if you want the use of it c++ would be the way to go. Having said that I have used flash animations that I've then converted to raster for sprites and the results have been excellent.

sweet thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back