Hey Look! Half A Pandora Docking Station!

b1llygo4t said:
http://usb.brando.co...28c031d015.html

::edit:: and someone was talking about an add on compartment for usb sticks, this 4 port hub has switches (power saver) clicky

Looks good and interesting, but i doubt i will buy one of these. i would rather house my sata drive in a caddy rather than risk damaging the drive by having to handle it all the time

Last edited by a moderator:
the hard drivd wouldnt be exposed. asuming there isnt some goofy driver issue im gonna get:

sata adapter/powered usb hub/ multicard reader
hard drive
usb to ethernet adapter
tv out cable
usb tv tuner card
4 port usb hub

put all the guts in a custom enclosure that the pandora plugs into and use:

bt keyboard
bt mouse
bt remote
360 or ps3 controllers

for tv media/web/gaming pc. woot!

a buddy of mine works at a machine shop so i can cnc or laser cut an acrylic case or mabe wood....

That's a pretty good idea. The hard drive would be a little noisy, and if you constructed a case around it, it might need some kind of cooling system, like a low-speed fan.

borgqueenx said:
what is this exactly?
putting the pandora in that thing instead of a hard drive?

Lol no. I believe the idea is simply to connect this to the Pandora though USB. This would act as an external hard-drive, usb hub and card reader.

The idea of an dock station isn't bad but it would need to do more than this IMO.

I personally would imagine some homemade dock that would into the back of the Pandora. It would be connected to the USB / EXT and power plug of the Pandora. You would recharge the Pandora from the dock and it will act as a powered USB hub at the same time.
You would need to have the the connectivity from the EXT port (Video out and audio in/out... maybe even serial access) on the deck as well as some extra USB, and some USB gadget.

For USB gadget I could imagine a TV tunner, a Ethernet adapter, card reader, 1.8' or 2.5' USB harddrive...

perhaps that could be the next community project. Pre-order now for your official Pandora Docking Station! Delivery in 2 months!

...I can't believe I just made a 2 months joke, I hate those.

In the UK it looks like it (or at least a very similar product) is available for £18.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/11992775/CnM-USB-SATA-Hard-Drive-Dock-And-Card-Reader/Product.html

Could be useful!

No mention of explicit Linux support.

Windy said:
In the UK it looks like it (or at least a very similar product) is available for £18.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/11992775/CnM-USB-SATA-Hard-Drive-Dock-And-Card-Reader/Product.html

Could be useful!

No mention of explicit Linux support.

usb mass storage drivers are part of linux and windows, you generally don't need anything, just plug and go

grasshoppir said:
wzup with this fascination with docks? just use wifi if you want storage

its not just about storage, i hate cord mess. the idea here is to walk in the front door, plug the pandora into the dock next to the tv, crack a beer and lounge on the couch with a BT peripheral in my hand. no need to turn on a second machine or transfer data to continue work or play.

i also want to make a dash dock for my truck. it would charge the pandora and pipe the audio through the stereo. add a gps dongle and your gold. i dont know how legal this would be considering anything with a screen that you put in your vehicle has to hook up to your brake pedal, but like a cop would know what the heck it is.

Back