GP2X Hello Y'all

GCDKraven

Still Fresh
Hi everyone,
Got my GP2X a little over a week ago and loving every minute of it.
First thing I did was put together a little Windows-based XVID encoder to make video files incredibly small whilst keeping good quality on the GP2X.

Now I'm working on various other projects (hardware, sofware, and accessories).

I'm going to recreate XONIX for the GP2X as my first game project since it's a great old DOS game I miss very much, and is not graphically demanding in the slightest.

I've also got plans to begin a much more complex game project with my team (an RTS game) which will no doubt be long and arduous. This will be directly related to the PC (Windows) version of the same game we've been working on for several months.

As a software/hardware project, we have plans to built a bluetooth network system which (if I'm to believe ARTaylor's EXT-USB cable) will run without the BoB. The bluetooth dongles I use require 50mAh and have a range of 10m. Anyway this may eventually (if it works) tie in with our RTS game project.

As for GP2X accessories projects, we're also currently working on a case for the GP2X (like with mobile telephones). We're just having trouble with the joystick on the GP2X.... we may end up making it so you have to remove the joystick prior to putting it into the case, then put the joystick back on, though this hasn't yet been decided.

Anyway I thought I'd drop in and say hello, give you a little project list.
I've read a lot of posts in this community and decided it's worth joining :)

Regards,
Simon J Stuart
Grey Cascade Designs

saehn posted on Dec 19 2006 at 07:17 PM said:
Welcome! All of your projects sound very interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing whatever you produce. If you're interested in sharing your new Xvid encoder with the community, you can upload it here: http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,1. Glad to have you aboard.

It's already on the gp2x archive site under "Kraven's GP2X Rip Pack"
I spent many hours tweaking the settings to get it just right, and the feedback I've had was very posative :)

Last edited by a moderator:
GCDKraven posted on Dec 19 2006 at 06:35 PM said:
we may end up making it so you have to remove the joystick prior to putting it into the case, then put the joystick back on, though this hasn't yet been decided.

IMHO this would be a bad idea. The stick is a little fragile and can pop out (go loose) if you pull the cap on and off too much... It also wears the cap shaft so that it'll eventually slip off.

Your other projects sound great, and thanks for your xvid encoder!

Direct link for it: http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,15,1957

Last edited by a moderator:
hey kraven thanks for the encoder, but I'm having a problem with it. I'm getting an error with it that says there is no audio decompression available, and then will not encode the video at all. Is this something I can fix with a reboot, or do I need to select an actual audio codec or something??

DSR

Back