Has anyone played Legend of Grimrock (Dungeon Master type-game)?

Miner49er

Website
www.lessermatters.co.uk
Hi there people,

As a MASSIVE fan of Dungeon Master, I'm seriously looking into getting this game:

http://www.grimrock.net/

It seems to have pretty good reviews and looks really nice.

I'm still enjoying the Pandora version of DM though - it works like a charm on our beloved handheld :)

m

Yup :D

Loving it, mostly. I'm not godlike powerful enough yet though, they actually did a good job of balancing the difficulty. Harumph.

Last edited by a moderator:
I preordered and downloaded it on release day! Dungeon Master is one of my all time greats and got me hooked on dungeon crawlers. Grimrock is definitely worthy of your time, it is highly polished and there are a lot of nods to DM (wall buttons, torches, food, mushroom men, pressure plates, all the good stuff). The only thing that I didn't like was the limited character creation, there just aren't enough portraits to choose from, and there are no clerics!

So yes, it's really great and true to its roots, so if you enjoy tile based dungeon adventuring, get thee to Grimrock immediately!

Grimrock is amazing; it hits most of those old points ..

You can eat monster slices, which is great; I've not had enough time to determine the Real Question yet.. any know the answer?

Can you _grow and harvest_?

The whoel point of Dungeon Master was to corral a couple Screamers into a room with a door, close it, and then come back and find out theyu've multiplied; you'd cull and harvest trhe screamer slices leaving a couple left alive, close the door.. endless food supply based on screamer cruelty. Woohaa, that takes me back :)

So heres to hoping I can farm in Grimrock..

I'm sort of intimidated by character creation; theres not a lot of classes or races, but the whole skill selection thing makes me wonder how deep it is.. can you 'screw up' etc :)

Anyone playing in hardcore mode? (drawing your own maps on graph paper?)

jeff

I've been itching to replay Wizardry 7, one of the greatesdt western style RPGs of all time; but its huge (like 200hours+ huge) and of course a game thats so old can be painful (not enough keyboard shortcuts or automation).. Grimrock is getting me a similar grove, without the pain ;)

I do find it a little disorienting on the eyes.. the rotation-in-3d thing is harder on tired eyes that a pure 'instant rotation', perhaps? <- but I just need sleep .. (I actually went for an eye test awhile back, to see if I needs specs or anything.. she said I have near perfect version, just my eyes are very fatigued from lack of sleep :p )

The whoel point of Dungeon Master was to corral a couple Screamers into a room with a door, close it, and then come back and find out theyu've multiplied; you'd cull and harvest trhe screamer slices leaving a couple left alive, close the door.. endless food supply based on screamer cruelty. Woohaa, that takes me back :)

Hmmm. It was always my understanding that there were 'spawn points' in certain parts of DM. In fact playing the fabulous DungeonMaster for the Pandora seems to prove this. Near the end of (about) the 3rd level there is a small area with a door that automatically closes when you get a certain distance away, I can keep coming back there and getting more screamer slices.

I bought Legend of Grimrock last night but couldn't get it working in WINE!!! Sligthly annoying but I know it's possible so will try again tonight...though, I need to start working on a new game development project so may just end up shelving this game for a while (this won't happen!)

It's been absolutely flawless in Wine since the patch, at least for me and a few others that have mentioned it on their forums. Good luck! If you're stuck, the wineapp community will probably be able to help.

Back