Guide - kiwix (Offline Wikipedia) on OpenPandora

anonkun

Still Fresh
This is a guide on how to run Kiwix on the OpenPandora (or any other arm platform, like a Raspberry Pi for example).

I don't have enough time to create a PND right now but since the program just works out of the box, I'm sure someone else will be able to if there's enough demand.

1. Download kiwix-server-arm.tar.bz2
2. Download a ZIM file of your choice from the Kiwix archives (for example Wikipedia, Project Gutenberg...)
3. Extract the archive
4. Launch the program with a command like this:

Code:
/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/misc/kiwix/kiwix-serve --port=8080  /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/misc/kiwix/wiki.zim &
links -g 127.0.0.1:8080 &

...where kiwix-serve is the path to the program you just extracted and wiki.zim the wiki file you downloaded from the archives.

This will launch links and open kiwix. If you want to use a different browser, simply delete the second row and open Firefox/Chrome/whatever and enter localhost with the port you used.

Have fun!

Note: This guide originally contained links and screenshots but because of some stupid spam protection I can't post them.

hxxps://i.imgur.com/kC2bggN.jpg
hxxps://i.imgur.com/VMZ6FrT.jpg
hxxps://i.imgur.com/fksHinc.jpg

hxxp://wiki.kiwix.org/wiki/Content_in_all_languages
hxxp://download.kiwix.org/bin/kiwix-server-arm.tar.bz2

As a new user, you have to prove you're not some dirty spammer or worse before the software lets you post links and things. This seems genuine though, so here are the images:
kC2bggN.jpg

VMZ6FrT.jpg

fksHinc.jpg

And the links:
Code:
http://wiki.kiwix.org/wiki/Content_in_all_languages
http://download.kiwix.org/bin/kiwix-server-arm.tar.bz2

I have been forced to embed these as code non-links though because every time I forget to do that, the board software 'helpers' completely mangle them for me.

The file format OpenZIM peeked my interest. Unfortunately, the compression is xz, which is a bad format for long term archiving (as discussed somewhere on this forum, need to look up who brought it to my attention, to give props). All other compression has been removed from it (for example, no bzip2 support anymore). So with bit rot, you lose whole chunks.

I clam-scanned the binaries and seem to be clean. Will test out once I got a zim file from somewhere... (guess I'll download something smallish but useful during the week...)

Last edited:
Back