GTK+2 rendering issues on a NUC

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
So I purchased an Intel NUC i5, slapped in 4GB RAM and a 500GB HDD, and installed Mint 17 (KDE 64bit). I've also tried OpenSuSE with KDE, to the same effect.

It's basically unusable. It took me ages to get it to render the KDE UI, but you cannot use XFCE at all, and LXDE doesn't refresh the screen, so you can't see menu items that you're trying to pick.

Main details are here

Does anyone here have any ideas? I didn't really want to put Windows on, but I can't leave the system this way

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have a i5 at home running debian sid w KDE with no issues. So it should works. Now to help you is all an other story

Well, I guess it's more to do with the graphics chip. The NUC has the relatively new Intel HD Graphics 6000.

Maybe there's something I can manually do with this?

I ran that installer, and it tells me that there's a specific chip which isn't present, so it doesn't need to do anything :(

I thought I might bump this because I've narrowed down my issue.

Basically, it's GTK+2 applications that don't render. Qt and GTK+3 (well, I'm not sure what GTK+3 apps I have, but the settings screen renders ok) apps do.

If I go into the KDE settings, and preview on the GTK2 theme, I get a blank screen (I've had one theme which shows two widgets, but that's it). GTK3 always renders the display properly.

So I'm going to assume FreeCAD and Inkscape are GTK2 applications, which is a bit of a bummer.

I believe there's a few backends to GTK2 (including a Qt one), but I can't figure out how to configure it, if it's even possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back