GP32 Gp32 Models

M-.-n

Website
discodirt.10pm.org
I really like forums where you can ask stupid question BTW :)

I am going pretty well with the development of my littleGPTracker. I've recently decided to have an early beta sent to a couple of people so they can try it on their unit. From what I've heard, there's a pretty heavy chances to get behaviour that is going to be depending on the models, how old they are etc.. so I'd like to include some code so that I can get as much information as possible on the unit the prog is running on.

What is exactly there for me to grab ?

Cheers,
M-.-n

I'm not too sure, but from what I have read:

BIOS version - a word read from a set place in mem with a date relating to BIOS. However, as soon as you flash your GP, this can change.

Overclocking ability. NL and FLU can go way higher than BLU/BLU+

LCD operation. Not too sure on the details... perhaps refresh rates are affected?..between BLU and BLU+.

Disabling 'select' button for the backlight on BLU+ (timer1).

The differences aren't that major so theres no point in making any special code, except BLU+ and non BLU+ screen initing seperately.

Blah posted on Jul 5 2005 at 10:53 PM said:
The differences aren't that major so theres no point in making any special code, except BLU+ and non BLU+ screen initing seperately.

I don't want to write different code for them.. but in case something happens on a unit and not on another one I'd like to know what I am dealing with.. that's all. I can hardly visit all users :)

Last edited by a moderator:
On another note, what about setting the CPU speed... ultimately this should be configurable but I've hardcoded it to 133 at the moment. I've read that overclocking too much an old GP could arm it. Am I doing anything wrong by putting 133 ? Will the GP follow the setting of the CPU speed no matter what model it is or will it limit it somehow ?

Thanks and sorry for the raid of n00b questions :)

If the CPU speed is too high, it'll just crash the gp, but 133Mhz is fine (actually it's meant to be 132, but the settings for 133 are probably the same).

As for the other diferences, just put a menu option in there to select between blu and blu+, and that'll do.

Squidge posted on Jul 6 2005 at 11:30 AM said:
If the CPU speed is too high, it'll just crash the gp, but 133Mhz is fine (actually it's meant to be 132, but the settings for 133 are probably the same).

As for the other diferences, just put a menu option in there to select between blu and blu+, and that'll do.

I've never cared about differenciating the two units for gfx init and it seems to be ok. Would that be because Mr. Mirko's SDK is doing it for me ? Or did I get lucky and go only people with blu+ ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think mirko sdk tries to do it on the bios version, but if you flash your gp, this might not be correct, so best to always have the option.

If you use the absolute latest version of Mr.Mirko's SDK, gp_initFramebuffer will check the bios version date thingy in order to determine whether to init the screen for BLU+ or not-BLU+.

If for some reason it auto-detects the incorrect version, the function has an override:

Hold L when the framebuffer is being initted to force non-BLU+ mode
Hold R to force BLU+ mode

But most of the time, I assume Mr.Mirko's detection would work properly if the firmware is one of gamepark's.

It detects by firmware version, not firmware date, and the BLU and BLU+ have the same firmware version, but not the same firmware, or firmware date. Which means my BLU detects as a BLU+...

Back