Gp2x Wiz Corrections

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildman4god

Still Fresh
I have been reading around these forums and i have seen alot of people talk about the wiz but have gotten some facts wrong. for instance the control design of the action buttons that everyone hates, the company announced that the release of the wiz is pushed back to november because they are redesigning the button layout. which also means that it won't release before pandora (more like about the same time). also some people seem to think that the wiz can't do 3d graphics, for the record the psp has a 333Mhz cpu and only 32Mbs of ram, the wiz has a 533Mhz cpu and 64Mbs of ram and i have seen some beautiful games on the psp, the only real downfall of the wiz that will keep it from contending with the psp (other than lack of high quality commercial games) it the lack of wi-fi. also the pandora's proccessor is hughly more powerful than the wiz because the processor can be over clocked to 900 Mhz, the only reason its not there already is to save on power, plus it also has a co-processor running at 430 Mhz and a GPU running at 110 Mhz. The wiz for pricing and size is a good pmp/gaming device for those who just want to play games and media, but for those of us who want more, like the convinance of instant computing on the go (like me) pandora is hands down the winner and well worth the price.

I am probably in the minority here when I say I couldn't care less about WiFi.

I believe someone overclocked the Wiz to 650, which is enough speed for me. I don't really think the smaller screen is going to be the big hurdle everyone makes it out to be either. As long as it's bright and sharp.

I'll probably go with the Wiz and wait for the second edition of the Pandora, if there's going to be one. By that time its software base should be more fleshed out and I can make a better educated decision on wether or not I want one. If its mostly emulators, I'll pass.

wildman4god said:
I have been reading around these forums and i have seen alot of people talk about the wiz but have gotten some facts wrong. for instance the control design of the action buttons that everyone hates, the company announced that the release of the wiz is pushed back to november because they are redesigning the button layout. which also means that it won't release before pandora (more like about the same time). also some people seem to think that the wiz can't do 3d graphics, for the record the psp has a 333Mhz cpu and only 32Mbs of ram, the wiz has a 533Mhz cpu and 64Mbs of ram and i have seen some beautiful games on the psp, the only real downfall of the wiz that will keep it from contending with the psp (other than lack of high quality commercial games) it the lack of wi-fi. also the pandora's proccessor is hughly more powerful than the wiz because the processor can be over clocked to 900 Mhz, the only reason its not there already is to save on power, plus it also has a co-processor running at 430 Mhz and a GPU running at 110 Mhz. The wiz for pricing and size is a good pmp/gaming device for those who just want to play games and media, but for those of us who want more, like the convinance of instant computing on the go (like me) pandora is hands down the winner and well worth the price.
right....... thanks for writing a paragraph of stuff i already know.

you havent got your facts entirely right either, the PSP lite actually has 64mb ram, and has masses of commercial support, being the reason why you wont get PSP-grade games on the WIZ.

I agree though, the pandora still wins.

this should be closed because its kinda pointless.

EDIT: looking back, you make it sound like the pandora is dual core, something we already talked about on here..... which isnt entirely the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
When will people learn that MHz don't mean anything?

...and the PSP has 2 CPUs. And very powerful matrix/vector instructions. And a very powerful GPU. And the Slim has 64MB of RAM.

wildman4god said:
Paragraphs

first off you didn't give any references...

second most people already know this... just some older post were based on miss information etc...

and actually you provide some misinformation yourself... the reason the pandora is not at 900mhz default is because we don't need the 900mhz by default and 500-600mhz is the speed recommeded for longer CPU life not that running at 900mhz would decrease it significantly

the reason runnning at 900mhz wouldn't decrease battery life is that it automatically downclocks itself to the minimum needed although if you were running a game that required 900mhz you might be ripping right through battery life...

i think the battery life was discussed more in depth here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...43221&st=63

Lurkio said:
wildman4god said:
Paragraphs

ROFL!!!!

Yes, it was a bit of a drag reading through all that.... you need to structure things more.

Then again, i'm not one to talk.

I would care for WIFI, but only if it is implemented strongly. One of the strengths the Pandora has over the wiz is the fact it can be used as a PDA. If it lost WIFI that would be pretty pointless

wildman4god said:
also some people seem to think that the wiz can't do 3d graphics, for the record the psp has a 333Mhz cpu and only 32Mbs of ram, the wiz has a 533Mhz cpu and 64Mbs of ram and i have seen some beautiful games on the psp
To do nice 3d graphics, you need 3d hardware, it is not a matter of MHz or RAM. The beauty of PSP games mainly depends on its 3d hardware.

talking of which, that was a big problem with the old GP, It lacked 3d acceleration.

Here's the post again, arranged in a slightly more readable format:

I have been reading around these forums and i have seen alot of people talk about the Wiz, but they have gotten some facts wrong.
  1. The control design of the action buttons that everyone hates - The company has announced that the release of the Wiz has been pushed back to November because they are redesigning the button layout. This also means that it won't release before Pandora (more like about the same time).
  2. Some people seem to think that the Wiz can't do 3d graphics. The PSP has a 333MHz CPU and only 32MB of RAM, while the Wiz has a 533MHz CPU and 64MB of RAM. Even with it's slower processor, I have seen some beautiful games on the PSP. The only real downfall of the Wiz, the one that will keep it from contending with the PSP (other than lack of high quality commercial games), is the lack of wi-fi.
  3. The Pandora's processor is hugely more powerful than the Wiz because the processor can be over clocked to 900MHz. The only reason its not there already is to save on power. Plus, it also has a co-processor running at 430MHz and a GPU running at 110MHz.
The Wiz, for its price and size, is a good PMP/gaming device for those who just want to play games and media. For those of us (like me) who want more, like the convenience of instant computing on the go Pandora is hands down the winner and well worth the price.

The first point is completely true. It is also not news to anybody who has been reading the forum. There is a thread in the News forum covering this fact, and thirteen pages worth of (mostly) positive responses.

The 2nd points are not inaccurate, but may be unintentionally misleading. The Wiz does have a 3D GPU core. However, this core is very weak compared to the PSP. The Pollux GPU is only rated for about 1.33M polys/sec. compared to 33M polys/sec. for the PSP's GPU. The Wiz would not be capable of PSP-quality 3D games (neither would Pandora, though it would be close), even if commercial software houses were interested in making them.

The third point is not entirely accurate. The Cortex A8 CPU in the Pandora is a couple of generations ahead of the ARM926EJ core in the Wiz's Pollux SoC. The A8 can get more done clock-for-clock than an ARM9, and the significantly faster GPU and DSP are just icing on the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back