zx-81

Certified Guru
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
thom-snap-v101.jpg

Hi All,

Thom is one of the best emulator of the Thomson TO7 home computer running
on MacOS, Windows and Unix.

It has been initially written by Sylvain Huet in 1996 (see http://www.sylvain-huet.com),
then Eric Botcazou (see http://nostalgies.thomsonistes.org/) continued this project and
added many news features.
[cut]
Here is a port on GP2X of the version 1.1.5, that i had previously ported to PSP.

How to use it ? Everything is in the README.txt file.

If you're looking for games and software have a look here :
to7-70 games

You can download this emulator on my blog :
here

Enjoy,

Zx.[/cut]

I don't think I've ever heard of the Thompson TO7-70 computer? Was it french?

So I did a bit of a look around and for the uniniated found the following

Basically a French made 8-bit computer:

CODE
CPU Motorola 6809E
SPEED 1 MHz
RAM 48 KB (upgradable to 112 KB)
VRAM 16 KB
ROM 6 KB
TEXT MODES 40 x 25 characters
GRAPHIC MODES 320 x 200 pixels
COLORS 16 colours
SOUND One channel, 5 octaves (7 octaves, 3 channels with the joystick extension)

Hardware-wise, kind of like spectrum graphics and ram-size with a trs-80/dragon CPU with c64 screen resolution!

Could you or someone please upload this and further creations on the gp2x archive, please? :)
It's the primary place for gp2x downloads and a lot of the gp2x userbase visit the archive, but not the forums.

Never heard of the computer either, but great work nontheless. :p

Also never heard of this computer, but it's very well known in France (according to some internetsources). Always nice to try something new :)
I'm not really impressed by the games this emu can run. I have tried a couple, maybe I missed the best ones, but I am impressed by the quality of the emu itself. Lots of settings, easy to use (with the helpfile) and screenshots! That's a feature most emulators lack.

I don't think there's an emulator ported this fast from psp -> gp2x. Good job.

slaanesh said:
Yes, it's a french computer, mainly used in schools for educational purposes ... It was very famous here, may be as much as BBC micro in UK :D

Last edited by a moderator:
i love 8 bit games, thank you for this emulator, i bet it has games i have never heard off...cant wait to try it...once again thanks...

any chance of you porting the SamCoupé Emulator for PSP.. i was and still am a great spectrum fan (( dam you allen sugar )) but never tried the SamCoupé ... ;)

Thank you so much ZX-81!

Virtually all 25-35 years old people in France started computing on these machines, at school... So nice to have it on GP2X today.

imhotep said:
What are the games people recommend?
The most well-known programs on this computer were LOGO, the turtle programming language, and some not-so-fascinating educationnal programs.

There were some nice games, however. Check out the link given by ZX-81. My personnal advice would be Pulsar 2, Eliminator, La mine aux diamants (kind of Digger), Spindizzy and Vera Cruz (only if you speak french).

It looks like a lot of the game ports had graphics lifted from spectrum games, right? Green Beret, Vera Cruz and Enduro Racer, amongst others, look very similar. Where there similarities in architecture, or was it just a similar graphic spec?

zx-81 said:
slaanesh said:
Yes, it's a french computer, mainly used in schools for educational purposes ... It was very famous here, may be as much as BBC micro in UK :D

congratulation, zx-81 !
didn't see that one coming.

as already stated, thompson mo5 -and its upgraded to7 version- computers were quite famous in france since the government decided they would be used for educational purposes (i remember quite well using these ones in school myself... must be getting old :huh: )

one of the main aspects of these thomson computers was the graphical pencil... but there were good games too (loriciel company was of the most important software creators for the mo5 and to7).

if i'm not mistaken, l'aigle d'or was quite a great adventure/action game.
some famous games like karateka were also ported on these systems.

well, it's fun to see them be born again on my little gp2x !
no wonder it's my favourite handheld. :p

oh, by the way, check who supplied the OS for these computers...

I'm enjoying this more as an educational opportunity than anything. I like discovering new retro systems.

Back