Gp2x Review In Retro Gamer Issue 22

nickspoon posted on Feb 27 2006 at 08:55 PM said:
SCAN!

Why can you not read it at that place that everybody else goes to read magazines for free, what is it called now :rolleyes: No not the library :unsure: oh yes W H Smith :p

I do not think they would like me taking my scanner in, I could ask the assistant if they could photo copy the pages for me <_<

Only Joking, I do have the magazine, I get it on subscription and it just arrived today so it may not be in the shops for about a week.

I do not have a scanner to hand at the moment, if I did wouldn't I get slapped wrists for posting or linking to copyright material, I am new here and do now want to get thrown out.

I will read the article and can post the general comments.

MattC

Last edited by a moderator:
Well yes we did that here before. Remember that we are pro Homebrew and Roms - practically pirates :D
And we wont kick anyone out this fast - worst thing that could happen is that you'll scan two articles and a joystick and we call you guru ;)

Sub heading says:
"It's still in its infancy, but the GP2X is already beginning to impress."

No mention of poor battery life or the scan lines on the screen. That makes a change. In fact they quite liked the screen "bright and colourful and better looking than the Nintendo DS, although not quite as sexy as the PSP.".

"Video playback is basic, but functional. compatible with most internet-friendly codecs like Divx, XVid and MPG4, the only thing strangely missing is the ability to playback MPG video and even MPG1."

Mentions the built in applications and the available downloads including Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Doom, SCUMMVM, OldPlay and emulators for Mega Drive, NES, SNES, C64/Vic-20, Atari ST, Amiga, Atari 2600, ColecoVision, Spectrum and MAME.

Does mention some "issues":
"standard early adoptor firmware type issues, the most complained about by the community is the thumb stick; it tends to be a little sensitive to diagonals, often making the stick a challenge for gaming. GPH is aware of the issue and are working on finding a solution. Meanwhile, the community is also coming up with ways to combat the issue. Remember, this is the 'first edition' and hardware often goes through changes before the 'final product' actually ships. as the GP2X and its community continue to grow, we'll bring you more coverage of this exciting new device."

The picture in the atricle/review is the white one, so expect more people asking about the available colours and when the 'second edition' will be coming out. I also think that DaveC's cap should have had a mention in there somewhere.

Hope that fills you in a bit about the review, not bad but does hint at waiting until it is ready for release.

MattC

greenpix posted on Feb 27 2006 at 10:06 PM said:
worst thing that could happen is that you'll scan two articles and a joystick and we call you guru ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
If you post it in the news section a mod will decide if it is acceptable.

mattc posted on Feb 27 2006 at 05:16 PM said:
Sub heading says:
"It's still in its infancy, but the GP2X is already beginning to impress."

No mention of poor battery life or the scan lines on the screen. That makes a change. In fact they quite liked the screen "bright and colourful and better looking than the Nintendo DS, although not quite as sexy as the PSP.".

"Video playback is basic, but functional. compatible with most internet-friendly codecs like Divx, XVid and MPG4, the only thing strangely missing is the ability to playback MPG video and even MPG1."

Mentions the built in applications and the available downloads including Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Doom, SCUMMVM, OldPlay and emulators for Mega Drive, NES, SNES, C64/Vic-20, Atari ST, Amiga, Atari 2600, ColecoVision, Spectrum and MAME.

Does mention some "issues":
"standard early adoptor firmware type issues, the most complained about by the community is the thumb stick; it tends to be a little sensitive to diagonals, often making the stick a challenge for gaming. GPH is aware of the issue and are working on finding a solution. Meanwhile, the community is also coming up with ways to combat the issue. Remember, this is the 'first edition' and hardware often goes through changes before the 'final product' actually ships. as the GP2X and its community continue to grow, we'll bring you more coverage of this exciting new device."

The picture in the atricle/review is the white one, so expect more people asking about the available colours and when the 'second edition' will be coming out. I also think that DaveC's cap should have had a mention in there somewhere.

Hope that fills you in a bit about the review, not bad but does hint at waiting until it is ready for release.

MattC

d00d! This is the release... the only hardware changes at this point will be a new screen if GPH can't get the current one anymore, and 128 MB NAND as opposed to 64 MB right now for the same reasons...

FFNoir posted on Feb 28 2006 at 09:46 AM said:
mattc posted on Feb 27 2006 at 05:16 PM said:
Sub heading says:

MattC

d00d! This is the release... the only hardware changes at this point will be a new screen if GPH can't get the current one anymore, and 128 MB NAND as opposed to 64 MB right now for the same reasons...

Hey, don't shoot the messenger, I didn't write the review. I know it has been released, I have one and am very happy with it, the competition brought out even more great stuff.

I was just informing people what the review said.

MattC

Back