• Acceptible

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poor

• TERRIBLE!

• Total voters

Series-8

I'm wondering just how bad/good this digital joystick really is.

I think the best way to get some kind of general idea is a poll. Better than just a few complainers or silent but satisfied users.

So make your opinion known: Vote Now!

I think it's very individual. It's terrible for me. But I'm not good at precise movements and the stick leaves little room for error. (it doesn't help that my stick isn't centered over the hole either). Some games work fine though (mainly those that doesn't require precise movement), others are virtually unplayable.

DaveC's diagram on his sig thing explains the difference in control between applications. Its certainly not a simple decision how to implement controls but that diagram is very useful

I've not got any real complaints about it.

it has problems in one or two games, in the majority of games, It's caused me no problems.

those who say the stick is acceptable are the ones who havnt played much on their GP2X, when i first got my 2X, i thought the stick was perfect,but as i play games more and more, its just so shit, after 30 seconds of play and your thumb gets just a tiny bit moist it slips off like greased lightning and you practically have to put your finger on the side of the stick and PUSH it to move it

Well, I thought we were talking about the actual component not the piece of shit plastic mockery of a joystick that originally came with it. I put my retrocon joystick on it and it works just dandy. I get annoyed with some games like cobra command on NES that if requires horridly precise movements in some parts that's literally impossible with the setup of the microswitches used in that emulator. The tiniest bit off you are from directly left or right, you get screwed, run into a wall and your helicopter is trashed. For games like Golden Axe III for genesis, it's amazing...

Just give it time...It'll all be worked out eventually...even if it comes in the form of a physical mod...

I really don't know why a third party hasn't put out a multi-pack of replacement ends for it yet.

have a tall teardrop or ball end like an arcade stick
a cupped version similar to the standard
and maybe a perfectly flat grippy unit (like n64 stick)

then we could have some options. I'd pay $10+shipping for it.

Voted for acceptable.

I would probably vote perfect if the cap was concave.

As it stands I have a few caps from an original Interact Barracuda dual-analog PSX and an N64 SuperPad64.

I will be trying those.

i voted acceptable- but i have done some mods cos the grip is the main issue for me.

my original joystick cap now has a rubber sleeve on it which has maximised grip but still has the 'deadzone'.

i have a second joystick cap modded from a n64 pad which is concave (plus i glued a o-ring to it for extra grip) and sits higher. i find this one eliminates the deadzone to a degree and is spot on for games.

i think once your thumb/brain automatically compensates for the deadzone and mod/find a grippier cap, it IS acceptable.

yes it is a shame we have to do this for better control, but look again at the whole package you have in your hands- great innit!? well worth the effort.

those who say the stick is acceptable are the ones who havnt played much on their GP2X, when i first got my 2X, i thought the stick was perfect,but as i play games more and more, its just so shit, after 30 seconds of play and your thumb gets just a tiny bit moist it slips off like greased lightning and you practically have to put your finger on the side of the stick and PUSH it to move it

I voted for acceptable, but I feel it's damn near perfect. (Just needs a better cap, which I made from a salvaged RetroCon) It got better after I loosened it up ... over time. I play my GP2X for an average of 4 hours a day, here and there ....

Don't make assumptions about others based on your own experience. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it'd be interesting to see what kind of games everybody is playing, to see if the acceptance of the stick is related to that. Because I think it is.

I play a bit of everything, but my passion are console games, especially platformers and shooters. Mario, Sonic, R-Type, Gradius, etc.

And I find it impossible to play those games with the same ease and skill level as I do on the GP32/PC/real console. The stick just doesn't seem suited for this type of thing IMO.

So, especially if you voted for acceptable or higher: What do you play?

Note: I don't want to say that anybody who thinks different is stupid. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. If it's acceptable for some and not for others, arguing about who's right is silly.

I actually meant the digital switch part of the joystick... but since the top plastic part is so bad, it does tend to affect the use of the stick.

I'm surprised GPH has done nothing so far about it... looks like easy game for some HK outfit to churn out some cheap and effective replacement tops and charge $5 for a 5 cent lump of plastic.

I think it's acceptable. I use my gp2x for just about everything (movies, drmdx, frodo, homebrew, neogeocd, nes, gbc, visual novels, etc.) and I find that it works OK. It's not great, but it is definitely acceptable. I plan on purchasing the first rubber concave cap that is released as the cap is by far the worst part about it.

i can deal with it so i voted acceptable but it seems like the people who dislike it can find a way around it with some easy mods

Back