Gp2x Is The Backlight Adjustable?

NeOCidE

Still Fresh
Hi all,
Thanks to all those who responed to my batteries thread, major help that.

My next question is, is the backlight adjustable like the psp in terms of brightness? This could save quite a bit of battery power I guess? If it's not, could it possibly be done through firmware upgrades??

Thanks
Dave

The backlight only has "on" and "off", but I think we can slap some pulse width modulation on it to get in-between values :)

Be really sweet if the backlight opacity could be software controlled....

Like in a platform game, you trigger an "Earthquake" event. and suddenly the backlight flickers and wavers a bit when the earthquake sound plays and the screen slightly shakes a bit with dust sprites "fall" down the screen.

Like in a platform game, you trigger an "Earthquake" event. and suddenly the backlight flickers and wavers a bit when the earthquake sound plays and the screen slightly shakes a bit with dust sprites "fall" down the screen.

Neat idea. Another cool way to get more of a feeling of immersion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sounds REALLY REALLY cool, but for some reason I think that would wear out the backlight.

Sounds REALLY REALLY cool, but for some reason I think that would wear out the backlight.

So long as you don't exceed the maximum voltage to the light itself, no reason the backlight shouldn't last a long long time. Would drain battery power a touch faster though.

actually, doing PWM on backlight would make the batteries last longer, as if you did 50% duty cycle (for example), it would use half the current consumption at the cost of being half as bright.

And there are times you don't need the full brightness of the backlight, when reading in bed, watching movies in bed, hiding from your family in the closet, playing Doom, Waiting in a dark dungeon-like doctor's office.

There would be no problems with each pulse consuming more energy than the same amount of time if it was going continuously? (e.g. a 200ms pulse would consume more/less/smae energy as 200ms of continuous light?)

Back