Gp2x Firmware 4.1.0 Not Working

replicant78

Still Fresh
Hi all,

Was hoping somebody could help me out here. I borrowed my mates GP2x F100(B) unit and was upgrading it to firmware 4.1.0. I went from 2.1.1 to 4.0.0 and then 4.1.0. All seemed to work well and the patching and all was done and the new GUI came up with nice music. However I cannot see anything on my SD card, I have place pictures and videos and SNES roms and emulators in the root directory and even in folders such as "game" but when I go to launch say a picture to view it it takes me to the SD card menu, I click on "picture" and then it simply goes back to the previous menu.

I have also noticed that in the top right of the screen when in the file menu you can see a logo for SD memory and EX for I'm guessing external memory but then there is an "x" logo for what I am guessing NAND memory?

I have tried downgrading to 4.0 and below and have even tried the NAND blanker tool but nothing works because when I restart the unit while holding shift +start, nothing happens the unitl freezes on the GPH logo screen and stops. have left it like that for 20 + minutes with no change. I have tried several different SD cards all varying in size from 256Mb up to 2Gb in size and different brands but with no luck.

I am now desperate to simply bring it back to 2.1.1. At least it worked then.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks all.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I'm using 4.1.0 without much trouble right now so, let's take a look at the scene.

-You tried downgrading to 4.0.0, right? I've done it many times, not a problem... but you tried lower, did you use the NAND blanking tool beforehand? And what firmware? Generally, it's best to use the NAND blanker before downgrading to avoid the risk of bricking the unit... well not generally, it is necessary from what I know.

-Also, can you describe more specifically at what stage are you currently in, that is what are you trying right now?

Two questions for now, with the answers we will move forward(hopefully).

Hi gp2.eXe

Yes I have tried downgrading to 4.0.0 Itried that one first as I heard that with some versions if you jump to far without going through each version you can brick it. I also tried the NAN blocking tool found in the firmware section of this site which was NAND blank 0.1. It just seems like the unit is not reading the SD cards because even if I place a .jpg image on the root directory or even in a folder, and navigate to pictures, all i get is "sd\pictures" after that it shows"...." and then the next click its back to the picture folders. I have rebooted without a card in it and it shows the exact same thing so I thought it was the card. But i noticed that when holding start and select it pauses and freezes the GP2X logo on the screen until reboot. If no card in slot then it does not do this so it is definitely detecting the card itself.

So I guess I am at the stage of trying to remove it entirely, or even to get it working so I can see some files. If I could even reinstall another copy of the same version firmeware to make it work I would but have also tried that.

Thanks for your help.

Hmm... strange, "SD/Pictures"? Well the Picture Viewer will always look for the default folder "photo" in the root, if it doesn't find it it will create it. So to access the root of the card or any other folder you have to highlight the folder followed by two dots (..) then press B to go up one level, wich would be the root. You can see your current location in the top bar.

Yep it does show that "..." but selecting with the B button just makes it go round back to the pictures part and then back again, as if I am looping. no matter what type of picture (png, jpg, bmp etc) it just goes from the root file to the"..." and then back again, even without an SD card present at boot.

Back