GP2X Caanoo or Dingoo

Should I get a GP2X Caanoo or a Dingoo?

• Total voters

I would go with the Dingoo series.

GamePark Holdings recently stated that they won't be producing any new hardware due to bad sales of the Caanoo. Which means that the Caanoo will be their last hardware unit. In my opinion the Caanoo was obsolete if they designed the Wiz a little better. But hey, we're talking GPH here, which always has some issues with every console they build. Whoever puts an analog joystick on a machine that is primarily used for retro (dpad) games is completely nuts. I can make a detailed list with everything that went wrong with every handheld they made, but I don't have time for that at the moment. The simple truth is that they are out of business for very good reasons. Primarily for making the same design mistakes over and over again, and not listening to people from the community.

I've had an F-100 in the past, also with a stick for directional controls, so I really understand all the complaining on the Caanoo. Stick controls are not for games that were designed to work with directional pads, it's that simple! While waiting for the Pandora to arrive, I've also bought a Wiz. It's a pretty decent handheld for the price, but also has its flaws. Primarily the screen can be considered a major flaw. It might be OLED and super duper bright and clear, but it's also very sensitive to images that can burn into the screen. Plus it's sensitive to so-called "screen-rot". If I knew this before, I would have never bought it. GPH exchanged my old burned-in Wiz for a completely new one, but still... The first time they send it back they even tried to scam me by saying the screen was replaced, which was not the case. My contact with them is also the reason why I would never buy anything from them again, as it was not a very pleasant experience.

Seeing what the Dingoo units can do, and the hardware quality they provide for the price, I would definitely go for the Dingoo. The Dingoo scene also seems more active to me than the Wiz and Caanoo scene.

There is a little thread on that model here

I'm liking the look if the soon come wikipad though myself, end of the month I think that's out

Back